martial arts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
quite a few people on here and BB seem to do martial arts as well as Mr Mearsin the past. why do you think this is. similar teachings or fitness maybe. So which martial arts do you do and to what level as well as your view on this.

I don't officialy have a single martial art or grade I have been tought by my dad and studied with mates including a few brown/black belts. so in my time have done bits of most common martial arts

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi

I have done martial arts since i young. i cant explain why there is an affinity with bushcraft. As for myself Ninjutsu and bushcraft both require patience and self disipline. They are both links to a more primitive past.

By the way if anyone wants any instruction for some bushcraft tution let me know i could tailor any session to your needs. couldnt resist a plug.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi There,

I known from the schools I have studied with that many of them also included field skills.

The link is the same as the link with todays' armed forces in that they are trained in not just fighting arts but in fire lighting, forageing, stalking, tracking, hunting, navagation, shelter building etc.

They were all interlinked. It is always the wider picture and the Samurai for instance need to now every single piece that made up that jigsaw until he could see what the picture was from the smallest piece.

Bushcraft from my small experence is a hugh subject like wise the martial arts and both have been locked together since the first two tribes battled over a mammoth.

Is that a bit to deep for this early in the morning.

James

Degrorobogo

Sep 25, 2003
The Netherlands
Greetings,

I don't think there is a causal relation between martial arts and bushcraft. It is just a matter of chance I guess!
If you ask all the practitionars of bushcraft to check in their profile whether they have a drivers license, you might be surprised how many have both bushcraft and "being able to drive a car" as a skill :wink:

As for me bushcraft and fighting represent opposites of my character. I feel a deep connection with my natural surroundings, almost spiritual. Bushcraft, or whatever you call it, is just a practical means for me to learn how to spent long periods of time in nature comfortably and in balance.

Fighting, don't prefer to call it an Martial art as i don't see it as an art...again is just a means to an end...this time not to fullfill an spiritual need, but just a means to get aggression out of my system.
I have practiced kung-fu for four years as a teenager, ju-jitsu for fours in college and now practice pancrase/free-fight. I love free-fight...no philosophy whatsoever....just get in the ring and get it on....no "talk" about what is the more complete "martial art"....it is all about who is the more complete fighter without the rules that plague most "arts". If you fight a kick-boxer,make sure you can take a hit and try to take him to the ground and finish it with an armbar leg-lock etc. If you fight a wrestler or skilled ju-jitsuka or other types of groundfighter try to stay on your feet and wear him out with lowkicks.....so fighting for me has a more obvious connection to let's say chess, both require some degree of strategy to defeat an opponant, than to bushcraft, which is more about balance and harmony.

Just my take on it! :wave:

Cheers,
G.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
it's peeople like you that are the reason for me learning (i cant spell many of these
*judo
*jujistu
*quarter staff combat
*knife combat
*kararti
*ikedo
and of course trained with free style city champs

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
someone once suggested it might be something to with a self-reliance thing, look after your self in the woods, or on the streets.

cheers, and.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
I'm currently doing a combination of Sombo, Brazilian Ju-jistu and Kickboxing, although I've done Aikido in the past.

I have to agree with Degrorobogo, I find free fighting much more enjoyable (and realistic) than any single martial art. Then again it depends on what you are after. Some of the more rigidly organised martial arts like karate don't teach you how to fight, they teach you how to do karate, and I guess a lot of people are happy with that.

Does anyone compete in free-fighting/submission wrestling in the UK?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
the master of fighting one major Fairbairn said he used about 20% of martail arts. he of course is one of the men behind what has been called the ultimate fighting knife

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Andy said:
the master of fighting one major Fairbairn said he used about 20% of martail arts. he of course is one of the men behind what has been called the ultimate fighting knife

Wasn't he involved in the Fairbairn-Sykes, the Applegate-Fairbairn, and the smatchet? Which were you thinking of?

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
I think that all the martial arts have their place.

I have studied ( please note not learnt but staudied) Karate since i was 9. I have a second degree black belt in shotokan and have trained under masters such as Kanazawa Sensei and the late Eneouda sensei.

I think that the pphrase " you just learn karate" is a little misleading.

I teach not the sport side with flick flack techniques and point scoring. But the traditional way. i have ( unfortuntely) firt hand experience that what I know works, and think that learning a martial art of any kind does give some advantage over Joe Public.

Remember, we learn rigid techniques, and build strength into them. In the same way as a dancer learns the steps to a dance without movement.

When the person is aware of the body positionng, and use of hip etc, then techniques taught rigidly, become fluid.

Study and understanding of kata bunkai shows so many types of defensive and offensive techniques.

understanding is the key...

In my opinion the best form for defence is NOT attack... but toleg it the other way.. and quick.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
martail arts wer part of physio (spelling) when i was young learningh the ways that martail arts work is far better. I also did a lot of slow montion stuff with a mate (black belt). I also think that the fitness side of it is what means you don't get hurt that much if yu do end up in trouble. I took a beating with small rock for 5mins (they didn't want my phone) only to hit back and get help in 1 minute

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
In my opinion the best form for defence is NOT attack... but toleg it the other way.. and quick.

I can usually talk my way out or run

Well put ... having a knowledge of fighting is one thing, but I also do long distance running!!! :-D

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Although the forum may deal with weapons, there is plenty on there detailing the mindset, and awareness issues imperative to overcoming uncomfortable situations.
There’s also some great commentary on self-defence myths, and invaluable experience on what really works and what doesn’t in real life situations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE