march/april canoe camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prefered dates, please only vote if you intend coming

• 28th March

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 4th April

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Timings and location flexible. But looking at the end of march begining of April and somewhere between Hay and symonds yat.

As it says on the tin really, bit of paddling with full kit and a couple of nights camping details to be confirm dependant on interest.

I can easilly accomodate another in my boat and all there kit

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
i tend to be really flexible with work time etc, so happy to work around other commitments. I'll have a look at suitable campsite/places to rough camp. I was thinking of meeting up on the friday decent campfire meal and the usual chin wag good days paddling on the sat stopping with enough time to get a well set up camp good meal few beers etc and a a leisurely suday fiishing at early afternoon. Any thoughts john im sure you must know this streatch like the back of your hand?

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
i shouldnt worry im a novice but these streatchs of the wye are fairly straight forward. Swam most of it as a child; some who have seen my paddling might say i be swimming it again:lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am afraid that I have only ever used commercial campsites on the Wye, so have no idea about who to get perm from for wild camps although the camp site - if you can call it that - river right just below Monnington rapid - if you can call it that - is just a bit of bank and no facilitities bar a tap......
the contact I had was Mr Price, Newcourt Farm, Preston-on-Wye Tel 01981 500 349.
This is about 17 miles down river from Hay, 11 miles up river from Hereford.
The camp at Hoarwithy is just a big field but has plastic box toilets.
45 miles downriver from Hay 11 miles downriver from Hereford 10 miles up from Ross.
No current contact details.

Try getting hold of "The Canoeists Guide to the River Wye" or getting the latest info from folk on SoTP.

If it works out that I can make it I can fit another in my boat and kit out someone with a large Bouyancy Aid and paddles and vehicle share from West Wales.
For the record I am a level 4 coach and would not be too put out if folk wanted a little bit of instruction - but most of the Wye is novice heaven!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Are there places on the Wye where you can hire Canadian canoes for a few days, I’d love to do this but I don’t have a canoe or any of the kit that is required, My daughter would love this also. I’ve done sea canoeing and a small amount of river canoeing, but it was a long time ago

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
jungle_re - I'd be really interested in coming. No canoe (yet - I'm getting closer to permission!) so could I jump in with you? Dates pending of course - I work some weekends.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Are there places on the Wye where you can hire Canadian canoes for a few days, I’d love to do this but I don’t have a canoe or any of the kit that is required, My daughter would love this also. I’ve done sea canoeing and a small amount of river canoeing, but it was a long time ago

Google Black Mountain Activities - I used to work for them in a former life. They hire and do pick ups from downriver.

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK

Hi Tadpole

Loads of places to hire from on the Wye, do a search on canoe hire river wye and you'll be spoiled for choice. Typical cost is £25/£30 per day for multi day hires, and they will drop you off and collect you for a small additional charge.

I've stayed at both of the sites that John mentioned this year, and both allow camp fires. There are 2 sites at Monnington Falls (one above and one below) the one above is a small orchard with possibilties for hammocks. Theres no website for this site but Johns contact details are still good. Excellent pub up in the village that does the biggest roast dinners you've ever seen.

Tresseck camsite at Hoarwithy ( http://www.tresseckcampsite.co.uk/index.htm ) is an open strip of land alongside the river - so tents only if we stay here. Facilities consist of some portaloos, and it can get pretty grim if the site is busy.

The Monington Falls site (Near Bredwardine if you want to look at the map) would be a good base for a trip starting below Hay on Wye (I put in upstream of the toll bridge at Whitney on Wye on my last trip where there is free parking) overnight at the campsite and then paddle on to Hereford. Take out in Hereford is at the rowing club. If you contact them in advance they usually allow you to park in their carpark (£1 fee the last time I used it), otherwise theres a public car park just up the road.

Hoarwithy would suit a trip from Hereford to Ross on Wye.

Or you could combine the two and have three days of paddling - with a very long second day.

I'm not aware of anywhere along the Wye that will allow "wild camping" , and I think the chances of just hauling out somewhere and going unnoticed would be pretty slim if theres a group. The river is heavily managed for fishing and regularly patroled by the estate managers and water bailiffs.

I'll keep an eye on the dates for this - but count me in.

ATB

Stewart

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
To be honest i wasnt expecting such a response, i thought be lucky to get enougher interested boat :eek: . Which wouldnt have been to much of a problem, i was dragged up arround the area the local countryside was my childhood playground but no chance with these numbers; which is good :D . Cheers John and Red those campsite sound just the job really, i must admit the the combination appeal to me but if there are several who are complete novices then im not convinced a long second day would be a good idea.

Monington to Ereyford sounds like it could be a winner. Theres lots of places to de bus in hereford form the rowing club down to the otherside of Bishops meadow all with close parking. Thanks for all the input guys sounds like we have the making of a good weekend.

How about a list:

1. Will (jungle_re) Canoe with spare seat + PFD + Paddle

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Rowing club in Hereford sometimes allow you to leave vehicles in their camping field - for a charge - so this is worth checking out as it is reasonably secure parking if daily shuttles are not an option.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
completely open for disscussion but just a more stabble start point.

Dates wise as already said im fairly flexible but i reckon the W/E's comecing the 28th march and the 4th April may be good options; bank holiday is proberly going to be like picadilly circus so id rather avoid but the weekend either side would be fine.... discuse

Looking at the details what are the thoughts on thes 2 possibilities:

1. 2 nighter 2 dayer. Fiday Meet/first night at holybush inn (tis right on the bank) between Glasbury and Hay camp in the woods there and they allow fires. But could sneak to the pub for a pre trip scan and an ale if that what people wanted. Paddle down to Monnington falls/ Preston (i think this may be the camsite alreadu mentioned) new court farm again fire allowed. this is a 19 mile leg. Next day Paddle to Hereford (about 11 miles) stop off for an early picnic lunch possible then mide afternoon finish and home (either the rowing club or Bishops meadow.

2. 3-4 nights 3 days. Thursday night meet (or frday morning) at the Monnington/preston campsite friday paddle to Hereford (11 miles ish), camp at the rowing club (details to be confirmed but ive never seen a fire there) Sat padddle to Hoarwithy (about 17 miles) camp at Tresseck farm (camp fires allowed) Sunday on to Ross (11 miles) get out at the Hope and Anchor for a scoff then home.

Hows does either of them sound? Should get a few longer day trips in before then and get a better appriciation of the distances. John, Stewart do you think this sounds reasonable?

With regards to transport my personnel plan was to get dropped of by a begrudding partner and hope shed pick me up at the end

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It all sounds do-able to me though I guess the 1st option would be easier to fit around most peoples work etc. The first day may be a little long for some but the water is good on this stretch with a couple of "interesting features" to play on for more experienced paddlers...
Option 2 - the paddle from Hereford to Hoarwithy is quite long and flat - last time I did this with novices we had the second days lunch at Hoarwithy - and if the wind is blowing up river can be tough.
Casual observations only...given dates that work for me I would be well up for either/both!

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Totaly agree about the wind John - I did this stretch down to Tressick with my club early in the summer, and the wind was so strong we ended up having to go tandem in order to make headway.

As leave is going to be a bit tight next year I guess option 1 would be best for me, but if you go for the 3 day trip I could always catch up with you Friday night.

Hope you all had a good Christmas

ATB

Stewart

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
I reckon option 1 is the winner then.

So this doesn't stagnate and we end up doing nothing, i have posted a pole for the dates which will run for 10 days.

Hopefully this will suit a few and arrangement can be made (like speaking to the rowing club etc)

Thanks for all the advice guys, hope this comes off.
Cheers Will

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE