Man lives alone in Alaska

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
[video=youtube;Iq0rZn8HFmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0rZn8HFmQ[/video]
Very much envy this man, thought I'd share.:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Brilliant video, I posted it a couple of months ago but some members started moaning about the way the chap killed the rabbit; I think its well and truly worth watching

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Great vid, been posted before but now difficult to get a full length version.

Try and get a watch of Werner Hertzog's "Happy people.....a year in the Taiga" if you can (90 minutes) it blew my mind.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I didn't realise it was already on here, sorry:eek: I have watched a year in the taiga thought it was an awesome film truly inspirational.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
Brilliant video, I posted it a couple of months ago but some members started moaning about the way the chap killed the rabbit; I think its well and truly worth watching
Well it's not the quickest way to dispatch a rabbit but it did the job

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Try and get a watch of Werner Hertzog's "Happy people.....a year in the Taiga" if you can (90 minutes) it blew my mind.

Is the 52 min youtube video not the full thing? I downloaded it from youtube.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
I had noticed this before but never watched it till now. Thanks for posting!
Obviously i am no expert but there is a few things i took note of that i found a bit funny in my book:
Keeping meat around his camp is obviously going to attract bears. Surely there is a better way to store it locally so it won't attract bears? I feel the bear issue could have been avoided.
Throwing the guts of the rabbit into fresh flowing water, I was kinda surprised by that.
There was something else but i can't think now..

Good Doc tho, pretty interesting to see how people like that manage to live.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Is the 52 min youtube video not the full thing? I downloaded it from youtube.

Definetely not mate, full version was 90 minutes but it seems impossible to get the full works on You-Tube now, it is that good i am going to order a copy from Amazon.

EDIT:- Was referring to the Herzog documentary being 90 mins long.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had noticed this before but never watched it till now. Thanks for posting!
Obviously i am no expert but there is a few things i took note of that i found a bit funny in my book:
Keeping meat around his camp is obviously going to attract bears. Surely there is a better way to store it locally so it won't attract bears? I feel the bear issue could have been avoided.
Throwing the guts of the rabbit into fresh flowing water, I was kinda surprised by that.
There was something else but i can't think now..

Good Doc tho, pretty interesting to see how people like that manage to live.

He shoots the bears so maybe he uses the meat in camp as bait?

As there are just the two of them living in several thousand square miles of wilderness I doubt a few rabbit guts in the water will do any harm at all, in fact it will go into the food chain I'd have thought, its not as if he's camping in half acre of Home Counties woodland for the weekend is it.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania

Mine too, totally. 4 parts actually for every season, great to see them living naturally by the year.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Definetely not mate, full version was 90 minutes but it seems impossible to get the full works on You-Tube now,.

If I am remembering right, Youtube now has some odd rule about you have to pay for vid's over X min long but it's worked out on average vid length over a certain % of your previous uploads. I could be wrong on that.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
seen this before its a brilliant film,love the bear situation,one bullet just aint enough!lol

1 bullet should be enough if you don't put it down the 1st time then you p1ss it off and you don't want a p1st off bear after you.

As for the rabbit throwing it in the river is safer than leaving them smelling on the ground to attract bears wolves (dog soldiers :)) (but I always clean them before skin them incase I burst there gut.

Why hasn't he built a meat store like Dick Proenneke so the bears ain't invited into his home for dinner.
Isn't bear meet toxic during that time of year? Or am I making that up..! I do know ya have to cook it well to avoid Trichinosis.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
"One man (and his wife) alone in the wilderness", "pretty much self-sufficient"... Rugged individualists in the same way that Emerson and Thoreau were... Notice how he's wearing plenty of factory made clothing, has radios and satellite phones, guns and ammo (not bows and arrows). This is not even 19th or 20th century frontier living; it's the 21st century global supply chain that he can connect to once or twice a year, and the rest of the time stay away from the claustrophobic frenzy of city living.

It's entertainment TV, not serious documentary, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised by the pollution and confusion of ideas presented.

He has oil drums that he used to keep the bears out of his packets of Craisins and Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix, because they are things that he needs to order and get delivered once per year by bush plane.

I imagine that he hangs the meat out in the air so that it dries and keeps properly... OK, I think he could perhaps after twenty years out there have built himself a sturdy drying hut, but maybe the National Parks service keeps a close eye on what he builds. Otherwise, why would his emergency shelter (in case the cabin burns down) be a tent, that could catch fire from a blown spark?

There is much more to the story that was presented here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE