Man in need of some bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Can anyone suggest a supplier in the UK for the American military "Pilot's Flask" or a similar item? I notice that S.A.S.S. have them, but the price is very high (£4.95 plus £4.50 for postage, whereas in America these things sell for about three dollars).

I already have a few excellent canteens but I need something with a much flatter, slimmer profile than a typical water bottle. Due to an unexpected piece of good fortune I'm going to be spending part of the winter in Lapland, and a non-metallic flask that I can slip in a pocket under my woollies struck me as a good idea. The U.S. Air Force model holds one American pint - about four-fifths of an Imperial pint - and that would be a good size as I don't expect it to be my primary water container. I have seen a few flattish bottles in local camping shops, but either the plastic has seemed rather cheap (not good for freezing temperatures) or the seal has been dubious. Well, the last thing I'll need in the arctic is a dubious seal...

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
The Platy is a very good suggestion. I've used them for a few years now and you're right, they should be tough enough for the job. I'll have a look for a smaller one than those I have. Thanks for that, silly that I didn't think of it myself but I suppose I was thinking of something rigid and tough for in my pocket.

As for your question, Carlo...

Ray Mears? I don't believe I've ever heard of the gentleman...

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I have a pilot's flask. Current stocks seem to have very poor quality control with leaky tops. The flask also has no provision for a neck loop. In cold climes you may have to melt snow which leaves plastic wanting. Unless you will keep it 24/7 insulated a plastic bottle wil freeze up. You might look around for a steel flask for alcohol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE