Making Water Safe

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Is ANY water safe to drink if you filter it through something like a sieve to get all the bits out and then boil it, or does this only work with relatively clean water. I was thinking of going for a camping trip with my mates soon and there is a small stream running near us. However going further up stream it does seem to look pretty nasty at certain bits. Do you think if I sieve the water and then boil it a few times it will be safe to drink or am i better just taking my own water (only a couple of nights in a nearby woodland)

thanks

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It depends on what you call nasty, if it`s chemical polution the I`d give it a wide birth and carry some fresh in yourself.
Just for the record I`ve never done anything else apart from rough filter and boiling and I`m still here (sort of)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I dont think there is any chemicals in it, i dont live near anything like that. It just looks dirty and fairy horrible. It also pools in some places and these tend to look very dirty (dark brown), but i guess if its still running water it must be ok. What you think....shall I give it a try :p :bluThinki

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you reckon it's not contaminated by chemicals or animal carcassess then it ought to be ok providing you filter it with something like a Millbank bag then boil it.

A good indicator is if you see small fish and insect life in the pools then it's not poisoned but will still need treating.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Haha well from the sounds of things do you think it sounds safe or not?

Depends if it just peaty soil causing the discolouration or if there`s something worse surfacing somewhere. There could be all sorts of reason I suppose, can you get somebody else to try it first :eek:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Do the small fish and insects have to be in the pools, because I noticed them further down stream? and will it not work if I just use a sieve to filter the water? or does it have to be a special bag?

L

lee22

Do the small fish and insects have to be in the pools, because I noticed them further down stream? and will it not work if I just use a sieve to filter the water? or does it have to be a special bag?

a sieve wont clear all the fine particals out, just an idea....you could use a shammi or a pair of ladies tights instead they would (imo) work better
lee

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
muslin would be good, its designed for straining out particles and leaving juice and is mostly used in jam making etc.
that or a millbank bag which are about £8 unused surplus at endicotts (no affiliation)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE