Making Torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
what do you mean by "log burning tourch"... do you mean on like this?
aragorn_throwin_torch_anim.gif

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,
sorry it might be my bad english, I am not from the UK.

tomtom ; I could not see your picture in my browser.
What I am looking for is a wooden stick with fire on top, like they used in medieval times to light up their castles and houses. I would like to know if I could make them myself with the material available in the forest.

cheers
Abbe

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Thats what i thought.. (it was a good picture of aragorn from lord of the rights with is one :roll:)

ray made one in his last serise.. i believe it was useing birch bark wraped around a stick.. though he might have gotten oil from somewhere too and soaked it in that... i cant remember!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Whoops I got the wrong end of the wrong stick then. I thought you meant a modified torch. Oh well the CPF forum is interesting anyway. Sorry again.

Bill

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
tomtom said:
Thats what i thought.. (it was a good picture of aragorn from lord of the rights with is one :roll:)

ray made one in his last serise.. i believe it was useing birch bark wraped around a stick.. though he might have gotten oil from somewhere too and soaked it in that... i cant remember!

cool,
birch bark we have a hell of a lot up here in the north, would be interesting to know how he kept it going for an extended period of time otherwise it will die very soon, and I am running around with the headlight again. I believe too he must have soaked it into something.

//Abbe

hootchi

Settler
tomtom said:
TomTom. It could have been russian oil. :?: Iv seen him make that from birch bark, on TV. He also made one from pine tree resin wedged in the top of a split stick wth smaller branches through it to act as wicks.
Be carfull carrying with naked flames though a forest, im sure you will!!

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Blast, can't find the relevant web pages so here goes from memory.
Get a large number of straight twigs - broom or birch spring to mind. Form them into a really tight bundle wider at one end than the other. Bind tightly.
Hack out a depression in the centre of the wide end, fill with pine resin, pitch, wax etc and light. The main use for the thick bundle is to stop burning crap running down your hands.

Don't tip them up when they're burning - molten resin sticks to anything and doesn't go out that easily.

Realgar

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i think he also boiled more birch bark and extracted the oil and the soaked the bark in it so it was saturated... cant anyone remember that one better then me.. it was the show when he did cave painting and needed to light the cave!!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
thanks for all the tips thats a lot more than I know,

Question left; when I build the birch bark how do I extract the oil? How is the procedure working?

thanks
abbe

:chill:

Bye the way we got minus 20 degrees now outside my house, the winter is here!

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
To put it in as short a way as possible, pack a metal tin with birch bark ( twigs will do ), put the lid on, knock a hole in the lid. Take another tin - without a lid, bury it with the rim just above soil level. Put the bark-tin upside down over the buried tin, seal around the two with mud/clay. Build a fire on top, light it, Wait for the fire to go out and collect what's in the bottom tin. You can do similar with any resin rich wood to obtain a form of pitch.

Realgar

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Realgar said:
To put it in as short a way as possible, pack a metal tin with birch bark ( twigs will do ), put the lid on, knock a hole in the lid. Take another tin - without a lid, bury it with the rim just above soil level. Put the bark-tin upside down over the buried tin, seal around the two with mud/clay. Build a fire on top, light it, Wait for the fire to go out and collect what's in the bottom tin. You can do similar with any resin rich wood to obtain a form of pitch.

Realgar

thanks a lot now its very clear to me, have to try it out.
:You_Rock_
cheers
Abbe

BrutonW

Jun 16, 2004
Hi there,

I'm sure that Ray was using some kind of sap in a split stick to make the torch

Will

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
cuts in pine trees will give resin

which you can collect, it is liquid when it comes out and dries over days or weeks

some kind of cup under the cut will collect the sap

i reckon emptying them once a week(?) should do fine in the summer

course if you havent got any by the time everything freezes in the winter you are a bit stuck

Tant

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
abbe you may not be too late

pine trees dont freeze as quickly as water

though you will get less resin when it is cold

also look for broken branches and deer damage

you should be able to get a fair bit of stuff that leaked earlier in the year

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE