Making this into a useable stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
I picked this up at Woolworth's this week (no vested interest in the company)

Having read various things about how people have made their own hobo stoves from all sorts of things, I thought this could be adapted to make a posh version. I think, from what I've read about the ones on here, that it needs more and bigger vent holes as well as a side opening for me to poke firewood into.

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50983553

Sorry to have to post a woolies link but although I took some pictures to post in this message myself, I can't seem to load them into my posting.

Inside the bucket you see is another smaller bucket for holding coals. It sits on a mesh raised from the base of the outer bucket.

If anyone can explain how to put pics I've taken on here, I'll gladly put some better ones up.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You need to know the location of the image on the internet. In this case
Code:
http://www.woolworths.co.uk/product_images/14/01/86/14018621.jpg

I found that by right clicking on the image and viewing properties.

You then need to surround the image location with image tags like below, or use the insert image button which looks like a stamp with a mountain range on it. It should look like that below. Note the slash (/) in the closing tag.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.woolworths.co.uk/product_images/14/01/86/14018621.jpg[/IMG]

And then should display like this:

14018621.jpg

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
But what about my own photos? I notice other people can post their photos. You can't get a decent idea of the structure of this bucket system so I took my own pics and I can't seem to download them from my documents.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I sawe one of this in action last week.
Using charcoal the innner buckets holes proved inadequate and the fire suffered badly - a few holes rapidly punched with a handy knife sorted the problem....:D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You sorted out posting pictures then! :D

How big is it because it looks quite small in your photos but a lot bigger on the Woolies ones?

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
It's about a foot in diameter. I had a go in the garden with it this evening trying out my new flint/steel striker with some cotton wool, dead leaves and twigs. Excuse me for a moment as I just say that I was ridiculously excited when I succeeded first time! Kids looked on and said something involving the words Mum, Pyromania, and Again.....

Anyway, didn't burn brilliantly despite reasonable wind and very dry tinder. Lots of fanning was needed to encourage flames to stay.

My plan is to make a few more larger holes in the bottom edge of the blue bucket beneath the level of the inner bucket support, cut a piece out of the side of both outer and inner bucket to get fuel in and make several larger holes all over the inner bucket. Will that work?

As for blue paint, the fire seems reasonably contained in the inner unpainted bucket at the moment but probably won't be so much when I put more holes in. Is it worth dropping it into a bigger fire and attempting to burn off the paint altogether?

I'd have though it would have to be non-toxic tho because it is sold as a BBQ set.

I resisted the pink version! I think it will be perfect on my local beach which backs onto woodland and therefore has a ready supply of fuel and make a good alternative to the boring old BBQs along there and great to take to campsites that allow fires where I can cook on it more efficiently perhaps than an open fire.

Forgive me if I'm rambling - I may have inhaled too much smoke :)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
As for blue paint, the fire seems reasonably contained in the inner unpainted bucket at the moment but probably won't be so much when I put more holes in. Is it worth dropping it into a bigger fire and attempting to burn off the paint altogether?

I'd have though it would have to be non-toxic tho because it is sold as a BBQ set.

I'm no expert and I agree, It's probably safe. Don't take my word for it though:p

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Homebase is far too exotic for the Isle of Wight. We can only stretch to Woolies here. Heck we only got leccy last year................. :) No wonder I'm such a dab hand with fire

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
I tried with the vaseline before after someone suggested it but it seemed to just flare up and not last very long at all. I didn't bother this time and it worked OK

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Strange, I thought you'd have found it the other way around. I've found the cotton wool good for catching the spark, but flares and burns very quickly. The Vaseline burns for a long time, once the cotton wool has caught the spark.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE