Making coffee in the bush????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Folks, very soon I am off on a 4 day hike. now I lke a nice coffee in the morning, but it has to be real, not instant. The instant seems to have a laxative effect on me, which I definitely don't need in the bush.

I do have a small cafetier, but it is glass, so I don't really want to take it.

I am currently thinking of just taking a square foot of muslin, and just knocking up a coffee bag. any thoughts?

What do you real coffee lovers do? Ideas please.

TIA

Alex

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Smart Cafe cafetiere mug or cowboy coffee.
Works for me.
t2808.gif

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Instant coffee has the opposite effect on me. It makes me barf. :lmao:

You can make it just like French press but withought pressing. :) After steeping, just add a little cold water to help the coffee grounds settle. Personally, I use a Ti French press. You can boil the water right in the press, add the coffee, steep, press and Uncle Bob is yer fren.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
For lightness, Starbucks Via is pretty good (if you can get past the fact that it's effectively instant... euch...)

The Aeropress is quite light and makes superbly smooth coffee. Tiny bit of faff but quite easy to clean.

Handpresso quite heavy, expensive but has that gadgety appeal and makes the closest thing to espresso in the bush that I've tasted

If you like cafetiere coffee, you can buy stainlesss camping ones (think they've been mentioned above)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to vary my coffee intake depending on what I'm doing. If I'm out for a day hike and not carrying much gear I'll just use instant 3in1 sachets, if I'm base camping with the canoe for a few days I'll take the kettle and do nice pot of cowboy. Somewhere in between is my GSi Dukjug and H2jO filter thingemebob.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Aeropress from Lurch - about £20
Australia Skybury ground coffee from Hasbean - £5.50
Perfect coffee in the bush? Priceless.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I like the Starbucks Via. A friend sent me down a large sample of it and so far it has only been drunk in the jungle. The secret of a good cup of coffee... location, location, location.

Beyond that I have a simple system that gives good coffee. I take a paper coffee filter and measure in a stronger dose than normal of fine grounds and then staple the top shut. I toss two of them into a canteen cup of boiled water and dunk them a while with my spoon. The color comes out fast so dunk them a while and steep them well before you judge the coffee done if you like it strong.

Mac

A GOOD CUP OF COFFEE

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like the Starbucks Via. A friend sent me down a large sample of it and so far it has only been drunk in the jungle. The secret of a good cup of coffee... location, location, location...

LOL. I know where you're coming from; instant is just the easiest in the bush but---it's just so ironic that you're in South America and drinking instant coffee. I would too though out in the bush.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There are plenty of makers of those espresso machinette coffee makers you can put straight onto a stove. Neater with a gas stove but I guess any heat source including a fire I suppose.

Take a look at GSI outdoors. They do some nice coffee things from the espresso maker through to French press coffee makers. Take a look at this UL option!!

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/cat/coffee/

Well the above link is for all their coffee kit but look at the UL java drip. There are even bean grinders too.

One more thing to all you tea drinkers out there, tea leaves are biodegradable but the tea bags themselves are not in most brands if not all. If you like tea use a French press or some tea strainer type kit then you can dispose of the tea leaves and not have to carry them home with you. Afterall tea drinkers probably carry and drink a lot of tea too.

Personally when I'm in the hills I am all about light weight so I tend not to worry too much about taste of stuff as I'm not there to be a gourmet but to enjoy the outdoors. So I don't take any of the kit indeed I only have one pot for boiling water and drinking from so I tend to drink Kenco 3 in 1 instant coffee. All I want is hot, sweet and caffeine. As someone kind of said earlier it is more about where you are than what you are drinking and that is my opinion. Some of the best meals and best cups of coffee for me have been while sitting outside my tarp overlooking some amazing view with mates.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You can get the tea strainers that are 2 halves of "globes" that clip together. Coarse ground coffee in them works a treat and it's stainless steel and so light a gram weenie would like it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE