Making a sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I've seen some threads about making sheaths. They look quite easy - but then most things do when they are done by experts. I'm wondering if it's deceptively difficult, and fearing so.

If I was to make a sheath, how hard would it be for a first-timer?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Biddlesby
I've seen some threads about making sheaths. They look quite easy - but then most things do when they are done by experts. I'm wondering if it's deceptively difficult, and fearing so.

If I was to make a sheath, how hard would it be for a first-timer?
....So make two, the first will be a practice and then for the second one you won't be a first timer!
Don't set yourself up to fail before you even start - Set out with the intention of improving on the previous item.

Go on, dive in.

Ogri the trog

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
This is the first sheath i made
395_9599crop_1.jpg

No tools , a scrap of leather and no idea what i was doing.
Complete mess but most important - it's still going strong and on my fathers belt every weekend when he's out walking (despite my begging to let me make him another as this one is so embarrassing now !).

I learn something with every sheath i make and that's what it's about as far as I'm concerned.

Just have a go and remember "the man who never made a mistake - never made anything".

rb

May 19, 2005
essex
what are you making the sheath out of if you make it out of wood cut it down the middle mark out the knife blade carve out and then stick the two halves back together that way you can personalise it with carvings also if its a snug fit you have more chance of it floating in water

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I remember getting into a load of trouble when i was about 13 for using my fathers then new band saw to make a machette sheath from some oak.
I sneaked out into his workshop and had it all cut up and ready to glue before i got caught :D
I rehandled it from the sam epiece of oak and mad ethe rivets by grinding down some brass bolt's on a bench grinder.

Worked pretty well and is still in use almost 20 years later.
396_9610crop_1.jpg

396_9611crop_1.jpg

rb

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Very good, think I will make one myself. :D

Look alot nicer than these nylon type ones, with a velcro cover - good but not very traditonal.

Surprised the glue has lasted 20 years or so. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE