making a sheath for a hand saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've got a hand saw that is like a knife, but with a saw blade instead of a knife blade. I'm wanting to make a leather sheath for it, but when I made a template for it, the saw blade was catching... just wondering if the teeth are going to chew through the welt over time?

If it is going to chew up the welt, is there another way to sheath it?

saw.jpg

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
You could incorporate a strip of hardwood as a welt, it would last longer than a leather one. Might look quite cool too. :)

Rob.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't think it will be an issue. Doubt if there will be much sawing activity inside the mask.
I made cardboard masks for each of my 3 cleavers. As long as they stay dry, they should last for decades.
The cleavers are used for kitchen prep, at least 4-5 times each week.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
As long as you pull the pad saw out straight and its not to tight at the opening then leather should be fine. I'v had cardboard covers on panel saws last for a year or so before

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Reckon i'd go with a wooden core wrapped in leather mate. But as others have said a regular style sheath should work just fine providing it's not tight. Just make it extra loose inside but have a retention strap with a popper or something to keep the saw secure.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Thank you for all the replies. Likewise, I have saws with cardboard sheaths, but I think this saw might get a bit wet out and about.

I really like the idea of the hardwood welt, with the right finish it would look cool... and I have some plastic that would do the job as well. I might make a couple of different types for it... good practise if nothing else.

What do you mean by a wooden core Hamish? Like the Scandinavian type sheaths?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE