making a knife on commision- step by step

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
just had my first international commision for a puukko.

these are the pictures of how the knife was born, i emailed it to him but thought you guys might also be interested

ok so here are the materials lined up, we have a lauri 105 blade, some curly birch extreame, some leather and a reindeer antler spacer/bolster.
188.jpg

first step was to shape and fit the bolster, to shape i used a 3mm drill bit and some files.
191.jpg

the next step was to stack and clamp the handle, using araldite as the adhesive it has been clamped tightly to ensure a smooth fit inbetween the joints.
193.jpg

after the glue was well and surly dryed it was time for the rough shaping, using a linisher and a knife.
194.jpg

next the final shaping using a finer grit belt on the linisher
195-1.jpg

the final step was to sand, buff and polish the handle before giving it a good soak of Danish oil, the result looks somwhat like this
196.jpg

199.jpg

201.jpg

hope you like :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is a polite heads up.
Please go and read the rules on self promotion and advertising.

If you wish to sell, or advertise that you will sell, on the forum, you must join as a Maker.

Toddy

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Knife is looking good mate, nice shape.

Sheath is good too, but out of the whole package that is the bit with need for improvement, i reccomend the sheathmaking dvd by chuck burrows!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE