Making a hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I bought this at a bootsale this morning:

I want to make an organic material burning hobo stove from it.
Its a good size, and with two cooking pots, Aluminium too. Ideal! All for £1 :-D

Anyone any ideas where to put the holes, and how big? Any other tips?

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Well..
I've been making some models from dog food cans, so I dont mess up the tin.

I'm having a hard time. I can't get the air to pull through, and thus make it burn hotter and quicker.
Is there a formula for this sort of thing?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
hi raz.

basically for holes, you need lots. some of the hobo stove designs are based round cutting the whole of the bottom of the can off, then you stand the can off the floor to maximise air flow.

if you're keeping the bottom of the can in, you'll also need a grate.

for dog food tin stoves you can use the cut out lid. clamp it to a piece of scrap wood or something, and drill in as many holes as you can. you really don't want a sharp tin lid spinning round your drill bit whilst you're trying to hold it. :shock:

the other source of great grates is recyling the grill out of a disposable BBQ, just cut yourself a circle about the same size as you tin with a pair of pliers.

raise the grate off the bottom of the can by sticking three small screws though the side of the can. just drop the grate in so it rests (at least nearly) flat on the screws.

if you have a hole saw it's worth making one of the holes in the bottom of the can relatively big. then you can blow into the bottom of your fire to perk it up, or stuff burning tinder in.

have fun,

cheers, and.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Thanks Sargey,
I will be keeping the bottom of the can it.
The way I have it drawn at the moment, is one big hole to stuff the tinder in at the bottom and lots of small holes around the top as an exhaust. I just hope that is enough to really pull the air through? I will fit a small raised grate in there and put a few small holes around the bottom to aswell maybe?

I would just buy a kelly kettle, but they are to big. This fits nicely in the front pocket of my backpack, along with some chow and water :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE