Making a fife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Being an ex-fife (and flute) player I've always really liked the idea of making one myself. I know Elder is supposed to be the thing to use, but beyond that, I'm not too sure. I can tune it fine when finished, but the matter of just getting the holes in the right place to start with is a bit of a problem :rolleyes:
What I was wondering was, do any of you have any experience of this, or can direct me somewhere I might get some help? :)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I can't find the page for it, but there was a method of making greenwood whistles that seemed a good idea:

You cut a small square into the bark, then cut right round the bark ont eh stem below this notch. You then beat the outide of the stem until the bark slips off in a complete cylinder (quite difficult when I tried it - try different woods). Keep this piece.

On the skinned wood piece, carve in a hole underneath the notch position on the bark, then carve a thin strip out of the surface from that hole to the end of the stick. Wet the stick, slide the bark back on and leave to 'set'. The thin strip should provide a small hole you blow down, and the hole in the wood and the notch in the bark should provide the 'whistle' part.

Edit: Found it! http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/fun/whistle2.htm

See also: http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/fun/whistle.htm for an elder core one.

May 23, 2005
Those copper pennywhistles look like fun to make, I'll have a go at making one and I'll post the results here.

May 23, 2005
Here we go, I made one of the penny whistles in the key of C.
post-73-1124900115.jpg

Sounds decent enough and it's tuned properly, just need to learn to play it now!

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
If you want to learn, have a look at chiffandfipple.com

Loads of info on tin whistles and how to play them
The first forum I joined, that one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE