Make Your Own Gear Hammock with a Soldering Iron and Windbreak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
The following shows you how to make your own Gear Hammock including Seep (Lid) without any sewing.

You will need the following:

1, Soldering Iron
2, Straight piece of metal
3, Melamine board or similar (needs to be smooth and will not burn when soldering iron comes into contact)
4, Material (I found cheap Nylon wind breaks work well and give a number of options) - I cut the wind break so that I included the two slots for the poles - measurements are about 165cm x 150cm.

How to option 1 (This was my first go - Whipping added to sides that have the pole slots):

1, Place material on board and using metal straight edge run soldering iron against this edge, it helps if your soldering iron has an edge or point.
2, Once material is cut out the soldering iron stops any fraying, then WHIP the ends as described in "http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html" - I left about 24cm for the flap and whipped the rest.
3, Hang up using any of the usual hanging methods.

Some Pictures to give an idea of how I made mine:

1, Showing board, solder iron and cut material
Boardmetalmaterialandsolderingiron_zpsf0264e89.jpg

Cutbeingshown2_zpsb13e3ee8.jpg

2, Showing the whipping (I left tails on so can undo if you want to use as a mini tarp or chair etc)
Whipping_zpsd1723509.jpg

3, Shown with whipping and slip knot
Whippingslipknot_zpsfb4b3466.jpg

4, Shown with rucksack
1stOptionshowingclosedwithrucksackin_zpsb1fc196a.jpg

1stOptionopenwithrucksackin_zps6f800b85.jpg

Additions if you can sew:

1, I would put a channel down the opposite side to the flap and add some shock cord.
2, Add a pocket to the flap to wait it down.
3, Add a loop at the bottom so you can attach a line to pull the hammock to one side.

How to option 2 (This my second try - Whipping added to sides that don't have the pole slots):

This is similar to option 1 but using the shorter sides, this has the advantage of being able to use the pole slots for shock cord, and the Seep (lid) for a stick to weigh it down.

Closed with rucksack inside
2ndoptionclosedwithrucksackand_zpscc610e0c.jpg

Open with rucksack inside
2ndoptionwithshockcordandrucksack_zps1b808b3a.jpg

Open with nothing inside
2ndoptionwithshockcordnothinginit_zpsf6ae55d0.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
F you do not have a soldering iron you could use scissors and (being very careful) seal the cut edge with a lighter flame.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE