Magnifying glass fire lighting with ice??

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Paul_B

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 14, 2008
Lancashire
I'm curious, is it myth or truth that you can make a lens out of ice and use it to light a fire. Has anyone read about or seen a video of someone doing this?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I haven't seen that, no, but I do remember an episode of a BBC ROugh Science TV series when they were depositing scientists in wilderness spots and setting them tasks. One of them, Kathy Sykes, managed to melt sand enough to make a lens. No firemaking with it, but could see cells with it. The expression on her face when she realized what she'd done was quite something. The things we can do.

Reactions: Erbswurst

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I did something similar a few years back, i didn't use ice though I had about a half cup of water in a clear plastic bag, sunny day I focused a hot spot like a magnifying glass onto tinder, I got smoke but my work break was over. I think had I carried on it would have ignited, the video clip above shows how it works. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES

The price is £27 and you can pay via the paypal button below.