Magnesium :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been watching this ebay deal for weeks now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110941311942?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thing is though, I know I'll never get around to melting it down (650 C) and even if I did I'd never use a kilo of the stuff.

But, but, it's a bargain :D and it makes really, really good striker sparks for firelighting.

Does anyone else think this is a 'Good Thing' :D ? and is anyone else interested in maybe organising it and we'll chip in and share it out, maybe at the Moot ?

Kind of rambling thought, sorry :eek:

M

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Interesting, I wonder what other uses I could find for 1kg of magnesium. The seller has several other intriguing items; an ingot of sodium, saltpetre and sulphur to name a few.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See, that's what I thought :D

Magalium powder, by the kilo :D.... :rolleyes: and all I wanted was to make some coloured pine cones for the fire :D

He's got it all :D

M....closet pyro sommat or other :eek:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
DON'T DO IT MARY!

The thought of a kilo of molten magnesium catching fire in your kitchen gives me the ScreaminHeebyJeebies.

The stuff you really want for striking sparks is cerium. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have cerium oxide in the box of tumbling kit; I never even gave it a thought that it was the same stuff as the firesteels :)

I wouldn't melt mag in my kitchen, but I know where there's a blacksmiths furnace that I can get access to. I thought it could be melted and poured into a sand casting mould to make wee bars.
It seems a lot of bother though. Would those panels the fellow is selling saw up easily into useable bits ?

cheers,
M

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Funnily enough during a perusal of Aliexpress I noticed you could get really long rolls of magnesium ribbon for peanuts so I bought a rather large roll. I thought that would be ideal as an aide to putting some life into a fire. You never hear much talk of magnesium these days on sites like this though. I wonder why?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT just gave me the look....the one that says he thinks I've lost the plot, and is wondering just what I have intentions of using a kg of magnesium for :rolleyes: :D

I do have magnesium ribbon, but iirc, it was British Red who pointed out last that magnesium is cast into all sorts of things, like pencil sharpeners, and they'll scrape off with care to make stuff that will really ignite with a spark.

We could get in such bother if we did a from basic principles guide to making gunpowder though.
Saltpetre's awfully good for making matchcord :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Saltpetre is available in 100g bags from sausagemaking. something or other. It's an ingredient used as a preservative for stuff like homecured bacon and sausages.

Food grade, very clean :) and not expensive :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE