Made myself a small neck knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Over the last month or so, inbetween my already hetic diary, I've been making myself a neck knife, with some guidance from a friend - which without I don't think it would have come out anywhere near as good!

This is the first time I've made a blade from start to finish and it has been a massive learning curve and a enjoyable experiance.

Template:
2340360734_214cc2d1df_m.jpg

Transferred onto Steel:
2340360624_a0e23d4958_m.jpg

Roughly ground to shape:
2340360776_f7a1c7dfcf_m.jpg

Filed to a clean edge:
2339527399_fd597dc9ec_m.jpg

Bevel roughly ground and then filed to a clean edge:
2340360844_2553634186_m.jpg

Finished and ready for heat treatment:
2340360712_4522c4d32d_m.jpg

I didnt do the heat treatment myself as I just don't have the space, tools or frankly the time to do it, so it was done professionally to 58/59

When it came back I started polishing the blade down and shaped the front edge of the scales

2393860114_36fd3d3525.jpg

Which I then glued on once the blade was polished down to a nice mirror finish with varying grades of sandpaper and wet and dry

2436737527_abfc83434a.jpg

I shaped the handle down and then finished it with sandpaper until I got a nice even shape to what felt good in my hand....

...This was the final result, with which i'm not too displeased at all.

2455424394_ac668cfbd6.jpg

2454596977_1facf56ec4.jpg

The blade is 01 tool steel, fitted with white fibre liners, mosaic pins (thanks to Bushwacker_bob for those), and Stabalised Box Elder Root scales.

Welcome your comments and thoughts. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's a good looking tool, isn't it ?
For a first one too, very well done :D I don't know that timber at all but it is beautiful and the mosaic pins add to the finish.

What are you going to do for a sheath ?

cheers,
Toddy

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Very pretty Andy. Problem is all those other knives you have, will now just sit in a drawer. Once you've made one like that, there is no going back.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Cheers all, I'm really pleased with it, which is unusal as I will normally critisise my own work to no end...although I do have a few parts on it i'm not 100% happy with LOL

That's beautiful. Is that resin-treated wood you're using as the handle scales? Nice job!

Mungo

Yeah, The box elder root has been stabilised so to my understanding that means it has been placed in a vacum to remove any moisture and air from the wood - then submerged into an acrylic resin and then returned to normal pressure so the resin gets sucked into all the pores, gaps, cracks etc But I might be wrong about the process behind it.

What are you going to do for a sheath ?

cheers,
Toddy

I made a very quick sheath the other night, I think its pretty rubbish tbh so haven't posted a piccy :eek: , but will spend a bit of time making something else more fitting for it soon.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Excellent work, all these great projects, have got my mouth watering for time to try and make my own. Can't wait :)

AAMOI how thick is the blade? and where did you get the heat treatment done?

thanks

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Excellent work, all these great projects, have got my mouth watering for time to try and make my own. Can't wait :)

AAMOI how thick is the blade? and where did you get the heat treatment done?

thanks

Hi, the blade is 3mm thick. I was tempted by 2mm but stuck with the 3 in the end.

The heat treatment was sorted out by a friend in the engineering trade.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Good work mate, that looks lovely. I have made a few from others blades and i have just started my first one from scratch. How did you grind the blade? I am thinking of using a belt sander as a proper belt grinder is out of my price range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE