Made my own Ventile Anorak/Cagoule

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hey!

Great jacket!

What was the damage (cost! :eek: ) on the pattern and ventile?!?

Phil

EDIT: disregard my last....just read the first posting a little more carefully....

Baaaaah! :eek: :D

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
stuart f said:
Very nice Ernst. Good to see you posted up the finished jacket, an inspiration for all potential ventile DIYers :) .

thanks Stuart.
To encourage potential DIYers i can only say: try making a jacket using an old bed sheet. It will cost you nothing and you gain knowledge by trying.
Try to find a book about making cloths, such books are full of tips and tricks. It just tells you the ways to do things. I got a book from Burda, it's in dutch. (I looked for one in englisch, but there doensn't seem to be one.)
And of course you'll need a sewing machine. Preferably one with a walking foot. Mine is a Pfaff 1222E and sews almost anything and with the right needles even middle thick leather.

And when you're comfortable with it all, order some ventile and make your own anorak, smock, cagoule... whatever you want to call it.

S

Selous

Well done. That's a seriously handsome and professional jacket. A question, though. I'm told that Ventile is pretty water resistant, but tends to leak through the seams. I also read, somewhere on this forum, I think, that you can't seam seal cotton (or ventile), so it seems that problem is intractable. Is that right, though? Surely this can't be a problem without an answer. What about that rubber solution stuff you can seam seal tents with? Would that work? If not, why not? Or is this less of a problem than I thought?

:confused:

Thanks

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Selous said:
Well done. That's a seriously handsome and professional jacket. A question, though. I'm told that Ventile is pretty water resistant, but tends to leak through the seams. I also read, somewhere on this forum, I think, that you can't seam seal cotton (or ventile), so it seems that problem is intractable. Is that right, though? Surely this can't be a problem without an answer. What about that rubber solution stuff you can seam seal tents with? Would that work? If not, why not? Or is this less of a problem than I thought?

:confused:

Thanks

I was always under the impression that Ventile is a water RESISTANT, windproof material: it's not designed to be waterPROOF. Therefore, it seems to be a waste of time to try and seam-seal it - I think it's just something you have to live with. If you want waterPROOF, I guess you have to buy waterPROOF.

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
topknot said:
Hi, a well made smock. How do you put the badge on the front pocket?.

Thanks.
The badge (a redesign of an old logo of mine) was embroidered straight on the fabric. For that i had to draw the lines of the pocket flap pattern on a piece of ventile. I had my logo put on the fabric at an embroidery shop.
After that, i finished the pocket flap in dual layer, so the ugly backside of the logo can't be seen.

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
Mikey P said:
I was always under the impression that Ventile is a water RESISTANT, windproof material: it's not designed to be waterPROOF. Therefore, it seems to be a waste of time to try and seam-seal it - I think it's just something you have to live with. If you want waterPROOF, I guess you have to buy waterPROOF.

That's exactly what i've been reading all the time. According to the specs Talbot Weaving sent me, one single layer ventile should withstand 4 hours continuous heavy rain, which suits me fine.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hey, old topic I know. But since I'm looking to make my own anorak in some weeks it's really good to see your work! Nice!

Anybody knows any other links to other people who made their own anorak, other patterns?

I'm also going to use a cheaper fabric then ventile, maybe eta proof. Maybe I first try one from an old bed sheet, good tip!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE