machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
While replying to a previous question about knives I came across this machete @ £5 http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/knives.htm now for that price I wouldn't expect it to be much good obviously, but what I was wondering is if it was possible or worth getting one removing the handle and re hardening and re tempering the blade in an attempt to improve it or maybe even using it as a blank and making a more suitable knife from one? As many on here make there own blades etc I just thought i'd ask to satisfy my curiousity. Thanks for any thoughts.
Dave.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
My son bought one of those cheap ones and is made of very inferior metal (i dont like to call it steel its that bad) its nearly impossible to sharpen and the finish is very poor. I dont think its worth re hardening or rehandling I bought a Cold Steel one and that has a decent RING to it. It has a plastic handle but that doesnt bother me as I use it rather than look at it. It seems to take an edge and hold it. Hope you find one you like.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Pignut, I see where you are coming from with the "1/2m piece of 3mm O1 steel " remark, and I love the idea. I have a couple of other plans in the pipeline along similar lengths but am wondering how I (without any facilities for this) could heat treat such a long piece of steel. A couple of guys that I've chatted to about knife making say they heat treat their own, but could not fit something like a large bowie into their little furnaces so I hate to think how difficult it would be to get a decent sized machete done.

If you or anyone else knows of anywhere I can get 01 steel of up to 24" long properly heat treated I would really grateful if you'd tell me where! Thanks.

Longstrider said:
Pignut, I see where you are coming from with the "1/2m piece of 3mm O1 steel " remark, and I love the idea. I have a couple of other plans in the pipeline along similar lengths but am wondering how I (without any facilities for this) could heat treat such a long piece of steel. A couple of guys that I've chatted to about knife making say they heat treat their own, but could not fit something like a large bowie into their little furnaces so I hate to think how difficult it would be to get a decent sized machete done.

If you or anyone else knows of anywhere I can get 01 steel of up to 24" long properly heat treated I would really grateful if you'd tell me where! Thanks.
Might be worth asking over on British Blades.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Not sure where you could get this heat treated!!! BB might be a better ask! It is the only thing stopping me having a go as well!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That's why I was wondering about a group buy.
If you could find somewhere that can ht a 2 foot length, they might be happier to ht a dozen than one - just a thought....

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
you could get a taramontana machete for about a tener holds a great edge once you sharpen it. the factory grind is poor but easily sorted with a file :)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Buckshot said:
That's why I was wondering about a group buy.
If you could find somewhere that can ht a 2 foot length, they might be happier to ht a dozen than one - just a thought....

May be!!

Would not knw where to look!

But would be interested if you are offering!

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
they need alot of reprofiling to make the blade any good ,there a nice little project though

tagnut69 said:
What about those Martindale ones off ebay, occasionaly the military ones come up for sale

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE