Macdonald Armouries Apprenticeship Trials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Wow what an experience and with a true master craftsman and I'm sure if you are successful that you would make a great addition to the Macdonald armouries team .
Many years back I met Paul and had him make a double bit battle axe for a friend's 21st.

Good luck Craig. .....

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Thanks everyone, I am now back at work, dreaming about swords. It is the dream job, but moving to Edinburgh for an unpaid apprenticeship with a family to support would be an economical nightmare to be totally honest, so I'm on the fence for this one. Either way, I am just really happy I managed to get up there and have a great few days with Paul exploring some historical depths :)

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I don't mean to open a can of worms, but the unpaid part saddens me. If there is work there for a man, well, there is work there for a man. Apprentice or otherwise. I'd never ask anyone to work for nothing.

Regardless of that, best of luck Hamish. I can see how much you want it, and I really hope you get offered it and you can make it work if you do.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It'd be such a massive shame if money stopped you doing that, were it offered; but life is what it is and gets in the way of many things. You're a resourceful enough fellow to persevere, though :)

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I'm sure you could make it work in Edinburgh mate. Thousands of American and Japanese tourists every day with money to burn just dying to get hold of some genuine, authentic Scottish crafted products ;)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
In Edinburgh during the summer months and especially the festival there are a few leather workers selling their wares on the streets.
some sell expensive imported mass produced rubbish one guy sell locally made good leatherwork but nothing exciting but there is another local who makes and sells his own celtic designed belts books and covers and he makes his own tools everything is top quality .
But Hamish I've never seen anyone selling anything close to the designs that you produce so I'm sure you would definitely find customers a plenty in Edinburgh .

All the best Craig ......

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
But Hamish I've never seen anyone selling anything close to the designs that you produce so I'm sure you would definitely find customers a plenty in Edinburgh .

I agree. Someone with your talent and craftsmanship shouldn't have a problem selling your wares anywhere in the world. And there's still the option of online selling. The quality of your work would sell itself, I would think:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You were humming and hawing about the logistics of it anyway; still a good thing to try for though, and a great horizon broadening experience for the jaunt with Paul too. Anything like that broadens the mind, knowledge and gives fertile ground for creativity.

Best of luck with the future endeavours Hamish :D

atb,
M

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
You were humming and hawing about the logistics of it anyway; still a good thing to try for though, and a great horizon broadening experience for the jaunt with Paul too. Anything like that broadens the mind, knowledge and gives fertile ground for creativity.

Best of luck with the future endeavours Hamish :D

atb,
M

Exactly Toddy, it has saved me a very difficult decision that's for sure! I have got a lot out of it, and it has certainly rekindled my appetite for historical research :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE