Lymes..... early treatment response

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I've been lucky enough to be picked as one of the few chosen who shall contract lymes. Fortunately, I spotted symptoms quickly and am on the doxycycline regime (100mg/twice daily for a fortnight) within 5 days of the bite.

So far the pills seem to be kicking the symptoms back into touch, but I wondered if any other 'lucky' folk had any feedback on longer term outcome with early treatment..... or to put it another way, is there anything else you'd do, beyond the bloodtests/finishing the pills.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I cought it about 10 years ago while hiking in the mountains in Czech Rep. and Poland border.
Saw a doctor about 10 days after the first symptoms, the red exema around the bite place on the lower leg.
The red ring was encirkling almost the whole leg, and started meeting on the other side.
She gave me antibiotics as a daily injection for 7 days in addition to the antibiotics I had to take daily for 4 weeks.

The symptoms ( flu like plus that weird exema) disappeared pretty quickly.
No special regime after.
Well, I did not touch alcohol for a couple of months, I let the liver recover.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I too was bitten by a Lyme bearing tick in about 1985, when I was a child living in New York about 100 miles from Lyme County CT. Got nailed behind the knee and fortunately the action of bending my knee and sitting in school the following day suffocated the little blighter. I got home and complained to mum about a painful knee and she discovered the tick in the middle of a lovely red ring. A call to the doctor's surgery produced impressive results. They too were seriously on the ball, they told my mum to drive to the nearest pharmacy, that they were faxing the prescription ahead and that she should get the first dose into me before we left the pharmacy, not even waiting till we got home. Reckon I had penicillin in me within 30 minutes of my mum calling the docs. Had 10 days of penicillin but no further symptoms that I am aware of.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I find it weird how many doctors in UK seem to miss the correct diagnosis Lyme's ( reading UK online newspapers)

In my personal experience, in Sweden and Czech Republic the docs are fast to diagnose, and have strict guidelines for treatment.
When I got it, I was treated straight away with high dose I.V. and oral broad soectrum ab's.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Speaking to a vet nurse re ticks, she said that she was taught that the infection does'nt occur until the tick "spits back" when its finished feeding, it doesn't normally happen under 48hrs.
However, the most common one effecting people is the nymph stage of the sheep tick, which is about the size of a poppy seed, which is probably why it goes unnoticed & people brush them off thinking it is just a seed, & knocking off is what causes spit back before its finished feeding.

Rob

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I was tought the infection usually happens after 24 hours, but can happen earlier.

It is a good thing to get into a habit to have your companion check you over where you can not see once a day, very carefully, including between the butt cheeks and the scalp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE