lymes disease

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 9, 2008
warks
I am aware that ticks can carry Lymes disease but, has any info been put out in the public domain as to which areas around britain have these infected blood suckers.?

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
One of my little girls had lyme disease after a tick bit her arm. Classic symptoms showed up a few days after i had removed it. Antibiotics cured it after about a 12 days. The bluebell
woods round here are crawling with ticks, mainly in the leafmould. Eating garlic stops them biting you :)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
It was thought that I had it many years ago, after I was bitten by a tick that I found on my gut the day after I had been walking. Got the bugger by the head and flushed him down the sink.

Anywho, turned out I had glandular fever. Just as harsh as Lymes disease I recon. I spent about a month sleeping about 18 hours a day. Other side effects including occaisional puking and an unbeleivable saw throat.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Damn ticks, one day in the woods means 10 ticks for me. For some reason I attract them.

Never had problems with it, but one tick had been for 3 days in my body, but didn't sucked himself full. That was in April, and I still have a red spot there. I've been to a doctor for that 2 times, but it isn't an erythema migrans.
Another time, I thought I had a tick on my back, which I (and someone else) couldn't take out. So I also went to (another) doctor. She examined it a bit, DID ALCOHOL ON IT, and after that, she said it wasn't a tick but a small wound. What if it was?

I don't have much confidence in my GP's anymore. I think they just watch for an erythema migrans if someone with a tickbite comes, and don't look for other things.

Ticks can bring other diseases with them, although lymedisease is the most common in West Europe. But with removal within one day, the chances of infection are very, very small.

Nonimouse

Sep 17, 2008
Somerset
Anywhere you get Deer - so all over the UK pretty much

I always carry Antibiotics 'just in case'

Garlic is good but not a total guarantee, Overdose on B6 is better

Getting more and more common as time goes on - very bad on the Blackdowns and Exmoor.

Wyles Disease is also on the up

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Kids picked up 3 teeny weeny ones, like barely discernable as ticks, at Loch Lomond a couple of weekends ago. Came off ok but watching them like a hawk! Deer were present on the island but as Nonimouse says, pretty much anywhere.

2865852804_97231aa500.jpg

It's habitual now, kids are educated to always check before bed even if it's just a wee bimble in the local woodland, bit paranoid but.... It's funny, midges don't like me too much but ticks do, same with the kids. Mrs C is complete opposite. :dunno:

Cheers,

Alan

Nonimouse

Sep 17, 2008
Somerset
Pre feed a Deer tick is only the size of a seseme seed

NB - Lymes Disease has the potential to re-occur once a person is infected AND the bites can re-appear as a bad infection years after the original bite

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/lymedisease.htm is the most readable explaination on the net and one we use for H&S at work

Most decent family doctors will pescribe you with a broad spectrum antibiotic if you explain to them that you are off away for a while. When I worked abroad I would always nip into the docs a week or so before I was due off and pick up pescriptions for basic meds. Just be aware that antibiotics do go off!

Whilst you are at it check out the issues with all the other nasties in the UK countryside - from Wild Parsnip to Brown Tailed Moths

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not trying to cause an arguement but.........I know my Doctors will not pre prescribe antibiotics.
I have a horrendous re-action to clegs and when bitten it gets infected very quickly. I have a permanent prescription for anti histamines but if I need an antibiotic it's a surgery visit everytime.
I work away from home a lot (where clegs abound :( ) and it still applies; find the local surgery or outpatients and ask, they usually access my records and take it from there.

I can understand if one were working abroad, but in the UK ? :confused: I thought we were supposed to be trying to reduce the frequency of anti biotic usage in the hopes that they would be effective when really necessary ? and that they were strain specific too.

cheers,
Toddy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Nonimouse is right that tick prevalence is linked to deer, and as roe deer can be found almost throughout the UK, ticks are pretty ubiquitous. Of course,not all are infected with the organism that causes Lyme.

There was one trial on a bunch of Swedish conscripts that found garlic (taken orally) reduced the number of tick bites - I think by about a quarter, if I recall correctly. So better than nothing, but nowhere near as effective as chemical repellents applied to the skin/clothing.

I'm not aware of any evidence that vitamin B6 can reduce tick bites, and B6 in overdosage most definitely can give you a nasty peripheral neuropathy. The strength of 'over the counter' B6 tablets was reduced because people were getting toxicity from taking excessive doses.

Nonimouse

Sep 17, 2008
Somerset
I was reading about that recently Doc. I mentioned the B6 think as it was very popular when I was in the forces - something to do with the body getting rid of the surplus B6 through sweat and the sweat being noxious to biting bugs. I am one of those lucky people whose pheramones are not conducive to a good resteraunt atmosphere for your average bug so it's word of mouth on that one - mayhap striking it from the book would be good? What say you Doc
Citronella works well but it's such dodgy stuff if applied wrong - the oil is created by steam distillation of the grass of Cymbopogon winterianus for those that are interested.

Pescription of antibiotics would be down to the individual Doc. My Doc knows that I have a reasonable working knowledge as I taught him 'remote area first aid' and 'vehicle dependant life support' when he was in the TA. The regions I used to work in are somewhat out of the way and reliable medical support was rare - especially when it came to things like infection and trauma (and dental infections)

As for Deer - we have higher numbers now than over the last 400 years. Ticks are spreading and are now occuring in Sikka, Muntjac, Red and Fallow. I have never seen Muntjac so common as now - in the 1700 hectares I manage they are a common sight - something that should amaze any one who knows of thier hiding skills. Culling on a big scale is what is needed

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nonimouse is right that tick prevalence is linked to deer, and as roe deer can be found almost throughout the UK, ticks are pretty ubiquitous. Of course,not all are infected with the organism that causes Lyme.

There was one trial on a bunch of Swedish conscripts that found garlic (taken orally) reduced the number of tick bites - I think by about a quarter, if I recall correctly. So better than nothing, but nowhere near as effective as chemical repellents applied to the skin/clothing.

I'm not aware of any evidence that vitamin B6 can reduce tick bites, and B6 in overdosage most definitely can give you a nasty peripheral neuropathy. The strength of 'over the counter' B6 tablets was reduced because people were getting toxicity from taking excessive doses.

As a doc from the wilder side of hadrians wall, is there any way of fining out how many cases of lymes disease happen in the uk. How many cases does an average scottish GP see for instance? Because I am one these that happily skips through the heather with the idea that I far more likely to break a leg or get struck by lightening while out than get lymes disease . I am wrong to be so laid back (I know what the rash and other symptoms look like).

topical Yarrow has been tested as an insect repellent by the us army with a positive result. i will hunt out the article.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I wouldn't stop anyone using vit B6 to try and prevent tick bites, but I think its important to knnow there is no hard evidence to back it up.

Deer populations sure are on the up; as far as I know all the deer species are associated with ticks - I only mentioned roe as they are nearly everywhere in the UK. In my area we have plenty of red deer, but they live in only a few areas in England. We don't (yet) have muntjac. I remember being a bit irritated to have to learn about muntjac for DSC1 when I've never even seen one, let alone raised a rifle to one.

There were about 800 cases of Lyme in England and Wales last year. Not sure about Scotland. I've certainly seen erythema migrans (early cutaneous Lyme) before - maybe half a dozen cases in the past 10 years. Which makes me think the Lyme cases are a bit under-reported. I've also had a few patients with strange neurological symptoms where the neurologists have given iv antibiotics for possible but unproven Lyme.

I think the best plan is not to be paranoid but wear good clothing (long trousers tucked into boots etc), remove any ticks the correct way as soon as you find them, report any rash around a tick bite, and if you do get ill with anything, mention that you spend time living outdoors and could be exposed to ticks. About 60% of patients with proven Lyme do not recall a tick bite.

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
I can't speak for Docs area of Perthshire but there's loads round mine - Braco. Every time the dogs are out we do a tick check on them and the kids when we get back and I would say 50% of the time something will turn up. Thats why we bought a few of the tick removers from the vet and leave them in the car/house, worth the couple of quid each. Loads of sheep round our way which might be a factor though I'm no expert.

Also seam to prefer labs rather than spaniels - maybe the spaniels just too smelly for the discerning tick.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Iv'e had to take off that many tick's when stalking in Scotland i can't remember how many,but 3 4 or more,always, copped them,even before my stalking trips, used to pick them up when rabbiting up there with my lurchers, been going to Scotland now for 15 years,rabbiting and stalking,and they must love me,i think lymes disease is just media hype, as i personally don't know anyone who's contracted it,and i know a few people who have been bitten by ticks in 15 years.

Bernie

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Okay so for someone who`s heading into prime tick country, what should they be looking out for and what can they do to prevent them getting hold.

I can understand finding one on your skin but how can you tell after it`s had its feed and fallen off. Will the area be itchy/iritated at all ?

Can they pentrate clothing or is it a case of tucking everything in ? Are they liely to find there way into a hammock without mossie protection ?

What are the early symptoms of lymes disease ?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Shewie, as I've said don't let them worry you,they might get on you the size of a pin head,but start getting bigger when sucking your blood,then you notice them,pull them straight off, me and all me mate's are still here,google how many deaths from tick bites,

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE