Lurch - your PM box is full

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I was going to be a bit of a cheeky bugger and ask your opinion on one of these for fermentation temperature control... ;)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There's a chap selling a few on eBay at the moment... (The model with one DC output and one mechanical relay - model hcjaaao​g.) Still not the cheapest PIDs going, but I worry that I'm not reading the specs right sometimes... I'm not really familiar with PIDs and I've heard a few stories about people finding that their bargain PIDs will only operate one channel at a time. Fine for HERMS, but sod-all use for fermentation control. Plus the "ramp to setpoint" feature looks especially useful for fermentation control - I don't like driving temperature changes too rapidly because it upsets the yeast, and that unit seems like it would solve that worry very nicely. Plus the option of datalogging to a PC is just the sort of thing to get my propeller spinning... ;) (Not likely to use it in reality, but it's always nice to have the option.)

So, if I'm understanding all this, I should be able to drive my coolant recirculation pump off the relay output, and drive the heater belt via a SSR on the DC output, right?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A wee bit of advice on thermocouple selection would be handy too. ;) I see a lot of people talking about PT100s - is that what I should be looking at for this application? I'm a little worried that most of the PT100s I can find might not fit down my thermowell...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE