LR Discovery 4 Onwards - Any owners?

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
I have just looked at Discovery 4 to replace my defender as I cannot find sitting in a truck cab comfortable any more. Decided against because crankshafts snapping on fairly random basis, cost of front and rear drop arm replacement at £1000 each end and cost of cam belt at 120000 miles.
I like the look of the 5 but the crankshaft issue is the same unfortunately.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Disco 4 here for about the past 9 months or so and it love it. The ride is lovely on and off road. Certainly compared to friends more agricultural choices..

Don't get me wrong its cost me a fortune in replacing running gear but a lot of that is vehicle age and my mechanical OCD, any knocks and bumps and I just cant ignore it as most folks can.
Parts are cheap if you do your research and if you are relatively handy you can do a lot your self. So far I have replaced the steering column, ball joints and various other bits on the drive and whilst being the son of a mechanic I am certainly no expert. I did book it in recently for a complete Lower control arm as I had a back back and didn't fancy it my self. The LCA was £130 quid and it cost me £60 to have it fitted.

Of course there is the forever looming threat of a crank or turbo but reading online always magnifies the faults and says nothing about the trucks that just keep on running.

Reactions: Broch

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
They’re good motors, I have a 3 but would happily get a 4 if one came along.

Cranks are not generally an issue I’ve read it’s happened to less than 3% but bad news travels fast and get exaggerated, so don’t let that out you off. As Dwardo has said, parts are cheap and if you get one that’s been looked after you’ll save your wallet some pain.

Contrary to most I actually believe in a higher mileage car when it comes to these (>100k) as you’ll find the higher mileage have driven through their problems at this age.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE