Lowe Alpine: Sting & Stingray

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Johnboy the DPM and the OG seem to be the same the only difference I can see is the little velcro strap retainers on the front arnt there on the DPM modal .
Cracking bit of kit , nice size to .
Twodogs

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have the actual sting in the endicotts pics. I got it early as i said id have the photo shoot bag. Great bit of kit, very solid.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
I've been lugging large amounts of surveying kit up and down the Pewsey Downs in my Stingray for the past couple of weeks.

I'm very impressed with the stability and comfort of this pack and its ability to swallow considerable amounts of kit. The PLCE pockets are really roomy and mean that my lunch box, flasks, gloves, hats etc are all very easily to hand.

The back system is a modernised version of the old Lowe Alpine Parallax system they used in the 70s and 80s when Lowe were gradually going bust turning out items of exceptional quality from their factory in Eire (I've got a Cerro Torre 65 of that vintage - my main travel pack and unbeatable, in my opinion, for comfort). You can even remove the aluminium stays from their sleeves for packing the rucksack away.

The only criticism I have is that the elastic on the lid is a bit fierce and you have to get assertive with it at times in order for it to covering the main opening correctly.

All together, though, I'm extremely happy with this pack.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I have the actual sting in the endicotts pics. I got it early as i said id have the photo shoot bag. Great bit of kit, very solid.

Might I ask what you paid? I am going to order a load of stuff from them and currently have a Highlander 55 in mind but may go for the Sting as I am told it will be 'about the same sort of price' (H55 = £45) though this is not yet shown on the website (last time I looked). I may yet stick with the Highlander anyway as I'm not sure I want a camo one.

Also, was it new or used/graded?

Thanks.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
My wife and I both have a Lowe Alpine Sting. It is by far the most comfortable pack we have ever tried. She is 5'6" and I am 6'1". The Sting is adjustable for different length torsos. I would highly recommend it for anyone in the market for a new pack. I paid $99.95 (U.S) each from sierra trading post. They have since sold out of them.

Picture054.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture055.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture057.jpg
[/IMG]

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just got one of these too.

On trying it on the back (with kit) it does feel pretty comfy which makes a change.

Haven't had it on a walk yet but hopeful it'll remain so.

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Thanks Barn O.
There are allot of DPM versions in Holland too. The problem is that im looking for a OD.
But there comes a time that i find it and I have the funds.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Since I posted this thread in 2009 numerous of other threads popped up. Incl. one with a review, almost all name suppliers, just run lowe alpine sting through the search engine (top right). IIRC Endicotts and/or Cadetdirect do them (DPM).

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I think Endicott's sell them or there are a couple for sale on eBay and I found some for sale below:

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=921

Lowe Alpine stopped making them in Olive Drab last year so you'll be hard pushed to find one in that colour. Great rucksacks.

Thats where I got mine, give them a phone and ask about the OD ones as they are still kicking about. I got mine at the tail end of 2010.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE