lowa boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thems my work boots - for general wandering around, and lower fell/ dales etc they rock. But not suitable for anything where you need a rigid sole/crampon set up ie Highland in snow & ice.

Very comfy, warm and waterproof. I wear mine for walking field that are ankle deep with no problem.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've got a pair and think they are the Dog's danglies....very warm, very comfy, very waterproof.....no problems to report at all. Best boot I've found at the price...beaten only by my Danner's.

I've used them with articulated crampons but EdS is right they aren't really meant for that...I did get up a frozen waterfall but I wouldn't have been able to walk to and from it in them and they won't take rigid crampons at all.
Still, there's about as much need for crampons in Hampshire as there is in Surrey lol :eek:):

You'll be getting yourself a good pair of trotter covers there Matey :eek:):

(Oh, if the heel feels a little tighter than normal boots...it's supposed to)

(Actually....just one small issue now I think about it. A lot of boots slip on wet/damp wood, hence we all step over fallen logs and not on them but....these seem particularly bad for it so be carefull).

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Lowa Combat are the best boot I've ever had - they aren't light but they are tough, comfortable and waterproof. Treat them well (clean and protect the leather with NixWax products) and they'll last a LONG time.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
cheers for all that gents another thing as i plan to do a bit of rummaging around down our beech how good do you think the leather would be with the salt should i treat the boots with anything or get rubber over boots or get something else completely for this job.

Mal

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I spend a fair bit of time arond salt water in my Danners and as long as you're good at boot care you should have no problem.
I use polish (Kiwi, always Kiwi) at least once a week, more if they've had a bit of a rough time. Not to a shine mind you, just enough to keep the leather uniformly black.

Actually one of my favourite "by the fire" activities.

EdS

I'm with GreatPebble,

do use any wax on goretex boots - it stops them breathing, plus many makes will not honour the warrenty if you use it. Use Kiwi parade gloss, it is the same as the "recogmended/boot company labled" stuff that Brasher, Berghaus etc say to use. It even comes of the same production line.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
(Actually....just one small issue now I think about it. A lot of boots slip on wet/damp wood, hence we all step over fallen logs and not on them but....these seem particularly bad for it so be carefull).

Lol....I'm suprised nobody pulled me up on this....I was talking temperate zones because of the type of boot we're talking about....clearly in Jungle and Desert etc you always step ON logs rather than over them just in case there's a snakey having a little snooze curled up on the other side!

Glad you're happy with your new boots matey....as with all good boots if you look after them they'll last you years and if you like them out of the box just wait till you get out and about in them :eek:): :super:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
EdS said:
I'm with GreatPebble,

do use any wax on goretex boots - it stops them breathing, plus many makes will not honour the warrenty if you use it. Use Kiwi parade gloss, it is the same as the "recogmended/boot company labled" stuff that Brasher, Berghaus etc say to use. It even comes of the same production line.

Brasher use repackaged Grangers products, not Kiwi. In store we would strongly advise against Kiwi products, it does exactly what you say "wax" does, no manufacturer we stock would advise the use of Kiwi products.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I have two sets of Lowas, both are the Mountain boot, one has a GTX liner and the other hasn't. Having used both I would only ever buy the ones without the GTX liner. I find that my feet are warmer and dryer in them and I don't suffer for immersion foot that can happen with prolonged use in the GTX pair.

Your feet will get damp from sweat when using the boots in adverse conditions as the boot can't breath through the GTX liner when covered in mud and rain. I find that the leather ones still breath and they dry a lot quicker than the GTX and they are cheaper too.

Just my 2pence worth

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
bambodoggy said:
I've got a pair and think they are the Dog's danglies....very warm, very comfy, very waterproof.....no problems to report at all. Best boot I've found at the price...beaten only by my Danner's.

Thanks for the post Bambodoggy. As a result of your endorsement, I tried a pair and they are now the worthy successors to my aged Salomons.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
:eek:): Glad to be of help Mate...... Sure you'll love the Lowa's as much as I do! ! !

Just watch out for them on wet logs!!!! :shock:

DWH, I have the high version, which I perfer to lower options... I like the extra support they give me if carrying a heavy bergan (not often nowadays I have to admit). I'm also more used to high boots from wearing them in the Cadets and then the TA.
I have two pairs of Danner boots, the old Arcaida and a new pair of Striker GTX boots. Can't rate the new one as only picked them up in the summer and haven't put them to much use yet.
I don't like the very high (14") leg boots, never worn them but think they'd be too hot.
The Daner Arcadia are very good boots, I completed the Nijmegen 100 mile march in Holland three years running in them with very little in the way of blisters just a few hot spots and I don't think that's bad for road bashing.

The Lowa are more of a mountain boot imo....I wouldn't want to do any serious road work with them but I'b ben happier in them on a hill than the Danners, far more support and a stiffer sole to slow the tiring of your feet.

All in all...it's horse for courses but if you can only afford one expensive pair of boots I think it's a little to close to call and depends what you do more of.

Hope that helps....lol....Phil's quick capsule review!!!! :rolmao:

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi I want to purchase the low version without Goretex.
Where can I got it?

Which is the lengh of your bare foot and the size you have got it?

Thanks

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
faca said:
Hi I want to purchase the low version without Goretex.
Where can I got it?

Which is the lengh of your bare foot and the size you have got it?

Thanks

Faca you need to try them in a shop before ordreing online unless the shop will do full refunds but you still lose out on postage. Some peoples feet are narrow some wide the lenght of his bare foot doesn't mean they will fit you by any means.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE