Low temperature digital camera?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Right, I’ve finally decided to go digital; problem is all the cameras I’ve been offered have a spec that only goes down to -10C. Both my 35mm cameras go down to -20C and from time to time I do use them below -10C. I find it hard to believe that low temperature digital cameras don’t exist - I’ve seen photos taken in polar regions.

So does any one know of a range or model that can be used in cold weather? Ideally I’d like to start with a compact but if needs be I’d go with a DSLR. Other requirements are RAW format, macro to 10cm, water (heavy rain) and shock resistant. Budget around £300 but would like to get away with less.

I’m open to suggestions even if it’s only the title of a periodical that covers taking photos in cold regions.

Thanks all. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just keep your camera warm inside your jacket like polar explorers and mountaineers do. Remove from clothing for a minute to let lens condensation if any clear and click away.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi

Apart from waterproof housings for regular cams (also used for anti dust/sand purposes) I am not aware of any specific models for deep cold shooting. Any of the top end Canons & Nikons will have silicone seals in all the right places to stop water/dust ingress and I used to regularly use my own canon kit while skiing (coldest recorded was -18c). I think the warranty is the important thing here, in so far as if the camera packs in while you are shooting for prolonged periods at -30c then Canon/Nikon/Mamiya/Hasselblad etc are not going to give you a freebie ;) The performance of the batteries will also be a major issue at low temp. Some of my ex colleagues have been shooting in Kamchatka (N E Russia) in temps of -15/-20 and were using EOS 1 DS series cams with L series lenses and they had nothing special other than good padded bags.

When/Where do you intend to shoot?

Sack

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Hi Rich,

I don’t know why most digital cameras are limited to a temperature over –10C but it’s the viscosity of the oil used in my 35mm SLR that gives the limit of –20C.

Hi Rik,

All my experience to date has been on film cameras. The instructions for the ones I have recommend allowing the camera time to reach thermal equilibrium before using in either very hot or very cold temperatures to avoid fogging of the lens, is it different for digitals?

Hi Priam,

Good to have a personal recomedation on what works but it is one of those cameras that only goes down to –10C. My pesent SLR is a Pentax with K mount lenses. I am thinking of converting to Nikon, the built quality does seem better, and I’m disappointed all the Pentax digital bodies again only go down to –10C. If I do decide to go down the Nikon route and accept that there really are no compact digital cameras that work down to –20C the one you recommend is going to be top of the short list.

Hi Priam,

I’m mostly going to be using it all year in the UK; winter temperatures, even in Wiltshire, are between +5 and –20C, last winter I recorded a minimum of –22C at my home, that was at night. I am planning a trip to the Cairngorms next winter and after that looking to try cross country skiing, probally Norway or Canada, when the bears are asleep, hope to see the Northern Lights on that trip.

Thanks to all for your comments.
:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE