Lost treasure?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Ok, so I'm clearing the loft as we're moving house... Most of the stuff up there is complete junk, but as I move boxes and bags, I look inside one box to find - 12 bottles of mead... I made it about 10 years ago, and must have just boxed it up and put it in the loft when I moved last time... There's another half dozen or so bottles lurking around loose as well...

So, I've opened a bottle to check it - if it's no good, I may as well just dump it all down the sink as I have to pay to have all my stuff stored for a while...

It fizzes... It seems to taste OK, but as I recall, mead is suppsed to be still, not sparkling... ?

Should I tip the lot, or save it? :confused:

ODG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wellll...y'know, sometimes it just gets better and better :D
I found three very old elderflower wines that had gotten left tucked away in a shed, and they had a little fizz but they were sooooo smooth, just lovely :cool:

I'm probably not the one to answer this with any authority, my brewing can be a bit idiosyncratic.....maybe British Red?

Cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
My Dad gave me a 1953 bottle of port when they moved to the States. It was sealed up but the wax top was cracked with age, though the cork was still in fine. I thought I would save it for a special occasion, so the next day I opened it, it smelt like vinegar and came out in lumps, such a shame............ :(

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If the fermentation hadn't completely finished then you may end up with a fizz (I do this with beer).... also its a well known fact in wine making that brews made from flowers can go through a secondary fermentation in the bottle.... usually around the time the plants flower again. Its happend a couple of times to me with flower wines and produces an excellent sparkling wine. As mead is from honey.... which is from bees collecting pollen from flowers it could be that.

:)
Ed

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Did it taste ok ? no funny after tastes or strange smell then keep it . The loft is possibly the worst place to keep wine tho as in summer the temperatures can get very high giving the wine a cooked taste . I would drink it sooner than later as it will not keep indefinatly

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I think it will be okay the fizz is just the result of a secondary fermentation in the bottle if in doubt I will drink it for you :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
It should be fine as bloodline has said it is just secondary fermintation in the bottle. This is how champagne is made, you will probably find some yeast sediment in the bottles but this is normal.

Geoff

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fizzing is just caused by secondary fermentation. You may have a tiny bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle but not much I guess.

It will be slightly stronger but the greatest risk is that if left, the presure may grow too much for the bottles the bottles. This is why Champagne bottles are thicker.

There's only one thing to do in this situation, send it all to me and I'll drink it for you before the corks blow out..... ;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mead? you jammy bugger.

I love mead (and cider, Im very conservative in drinks, none of this new fangled grape juice for me)

Ive got about 10lb of honey in the coupboard waiting to be turned into mead.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
ODG,

I'm always reluctant to say "yeah it'll be fine" based on not seeing, smelling or tasting. As the guys say though, secondary fermentation is likely the casue of the fizzing. The complex sugars in honey are a pig to ferment out completely - my last batch was a year in the carboy fermenting - hence why there may have been a little left to ferment.

Honey stays good forever nearly (thousands of years for sure - honey from the pyramids is still edible) and alcohol is a natural preservative. Since you've opened a bottle, I would try a glass only to start with - if that has no ill effects the next day, you're probably fine

Red

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
I've just learned today - oddly enough - that Mead should really be kept for between 3 to 5 years before drinking. Boots Chemist used to be able to analyse a sample of a brew (do you call it a brew when it comes to mead *shrug*) for you, to check for safety. I don't know if they still offer the service. It would be a shame to waste it all for no reason, but I fully understand your caution.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Thanks for the suggestions all! I suspect it is just secondary fermentation as there were no ill effects from my taster the other day.

I'm still undecided as to what to do with it - I had originally made it when I was heavily into Live Role Play, Re-creation and suchlike and had intended to take it to events to share. I'm much less involved these days and have no plans to use the mead in the way it was intended.

We move out of here in three days (although we don't complete for a week - I want time to clean!) and it will have to go into storage (if there's room). I suspect I'll have to just see if there's enough room in storage, and if not, it will end up down the drain, which would be a shame.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
outdoorgirl said:
Thanks for the suggestions all! I suspect it is just secondary fermentation as there were no ill effects from my taster the other day.

I'm still undecided as to what to do with it - I had originally made it when I was heavily into Live Role Play, Re-creation and suchlike and had intended to take it to events to share. I'm much less involved these days and have no plans to use the mead in the way it was intended.

We move out of here in three days (although we don't complete for a week - I want time to clean!) and it will have to go into storage (if there's room). I suspect I'll have to just see if there's enough room in storage, and if not, it will end up down the drain, which would be a shame.

You could always have a moving out party :D :beerchug:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
outdoorgirl said:

It was intended to be drunk. :rolleyes:

Don't waste it. :)

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
outdoorgirl said:

The tramps won't be happy. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE