Loose Lock Ring On Opinel No9

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I recently bought one of the above knives, to find that the Lock Ring was very slack and
likely to loosen off from the blade when in use. I tried to cure this by squeezing it in a
vice, but this did not work as the spring back of the steel in the ring just returned tto it's original shape. I then tried wedging the space between the body of the handle and
the ring to take up the slack. I did this with the tip of a plastic Zip Cord, and then cut off the excess, flush with the edge of the Ring. This I am pleased to say worked a treat
and being a nylon type wedge, this should not loosen and fall out, and it does nnot restrict the intentional turning of the ring. I thought that this was worth passing on
as it may just avoid a nasty accident. I once thought that I would convert an Opinel
with a sub three inch blade int an E D C, by fixing the Ring in an unlocked position
by Superglueing it. This worked O.K. , But I gave myself a bad cut, when the blade closed on me the first time I used it after that. The standard Pocket Knife has just enough resistance from the spring to avoid this happening, but with the Opinel you
just don't have this.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
This happened to one of mine once, all it needed was to take the collar off nip it a little in a vice and put it back on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE