Loose leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
I have a knife I made from a kit a few years back, the sheath was 'ready-made' in the box.

The sheath has gone a bit too loose on the knife now though, I would prefer it a bit more snug fitting.

Is there a way to tighten it up the sheath a little bit? soaking it etc?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've glued a thin layer of leather on the inside of the sheath at the top to provide a little better grip.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I think greasing the blade (and possibly the handle?)of your knife thoroughly (camelia oil is good) and then generously wrapping it in clingfilm a few times would provide sufficient protection for you to put the knife in its sheath and soak the leather in warm water... (With the blade in it!)

The soaking should be around 10 to 15 minutes and then removing the sheath with the knife still in it, outside or in the airing cupboard for 24 hrs to allow it to dry...
The soaking should shrink the leather , thus creating a snug fit to the knife in question .
This worked with my axe mask that had worked itself a bit loose for my liking , but I think it all depends on the quality of the leather, tanning etc.

There are quite a few leather workers on here that would probably have better advice , but I thought I'd add a suggestion.
Hope it helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE