Looking for Woodland to run Nature-Based Activities in North West or North Wales Area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I am a psychotherapist/counsellor who personally has had a life-long interest in nature and outdoor skills. I'd like to combine my professional and personal interests to run nature based therapy workshops. Nature based therapies are proving to be remarkably effective for common issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship issues, building confidence and self worth, and more. Anyone who has spent anytime outdoors will have noticed just how calming nature can be. They also appeal to people who'd never dream of sitting in a counselling room.

I am currently looking around for locations ideally within 1-2 hrs drive from Manchester, suitable for running small nature-based workshops. Woodland in the Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire or North Wales areas would be ideal. I am prepared to pay for the use of the wood. I will travel further for a suitable location.

I'm interested in running a variety of workshops from 1 day up to 3 days in duration, depending on facilities.

My requirements are basic and flexible, and are much the same as any bushcrafters requirements. I'd consider anything you can suggest.

- I'd need permission for a small group to be able to camp within the wood for 2 to 3 days. If this is a problem, then i'd still be interested in the wood as a venue for 1 day workshops.

- Permission to have a campfire would give a great psychological advantage in terms of group bonding, as well as cooking and warmth.

- Toilet facilities can be as basic as a hole in the ground. The experience is after all about getting back to nature :)

- Reasonably isolated, if possible. Lots of dog walkers, horse riders and teenagers tramping through the camp whilst in the middle of an exercise can be off-putting to say the least.

- Off road parking would be a benefit.

I do have outdoor skills, training and experience, and a deep respect for the land and nature so I'd make sure things would be left pretty much as we found them. None of the activities would involve any damage to the environment.

Any help, suggestions or directions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nigel

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Hi Nigel,
I had a similar issue recently trying to set up bushcraft skills classes for young carers in the Chester / N Wales area. I would suggest you try the Bolesworth Estate (Tattenhall - not Tatten Park) near Chester. Also worth a try is the Duke of Westminster's estate Grosvenor Estate. Another source may be the National Trust at Peckforton / Bickerton under the stewardship of Dave Morris (warden). If he cannot give you resources he will be able to point you in the right direction. He can be contacted via email or you'll find his number through NT.
Hope this helps
Acorn

Hi Acorn,

Thank you very much, thats very helpful. I'd not considered any of those locations, I will go check them out. Its always good to have plenty of options.

Since posting my original message i've actually found a place in North Wales near Bodfari called the Woodland Skills Centre, and will be running my first ecotherapy/natural awareness weekend workshop in July, and hopefully again in the autumn.

Are you still running your bushcraft classes?

Many thanks,
Nigel

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Hi Nigel,
Not running any formal courses at present as I've recently moved back home to the south. Been teaching the neighbours' kids to be pyromaniacs though and with the assistance of their mums...

I am looking at buying a bit of woodland as well as seeking out some kindly benefactor among the local gentry. With some luck I will find a suitable piece of wood to get things going again.
Good luck with your workshops!

BWs
Acorn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE