Looking for Tracking tools, tips and resources

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Handful of lolly sticks and some crepe paper for marking your last confimed track. A mirror just in case the light is bad. A green LED torch for night tracking and a tape measure!

Nick

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
nipper said:
Handful of lolly sticks and some crepe paper for marking your last confimed track. A mirror just in case the light is bad. A green LED torch for night tracking and a tape measure!

Nick
Just beginning to develop an interest in tracking.
Can you explain the green light. I can understand red being good for night vision, but green?

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I would say a green light, pace tracking stick (PM me if you wan to know how to make/use one) and Animal Tracks and Signs by Preben Bang and Preban Dahlstrom.

The green light accents light and shade even during the day and can really illuminate a track that you either couldn’t see before or was confusing you. Other colour work fine also, but green does work especially well for the majority of people. From what I have been able to find, it is due to our evolution obviously amount a fairly greenish nature :) lending to a greater perception of the ranges of the green portion of the spectrum, ie we can pick up more subtitles

Tracking is a fascinating subject. I am about to introduce the Search and Rescue team I belong to to the subject as well as attend the national Search and Rescue tracking course to see how it is employed specifically.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Fallow Way said:
I would say a green light, pace tracking stick (PM me if you wan to know how to make/use one) and Animal Tracks and Signs by Preben Bang and Preban Dahlstrom.

The green light accents light and shade even during the day and can really illuminate a track that you either couldn’t see before or was confusing you. Other colour work fine also, but green does work especially well for the majority of people. From what I have been able to find, it is due to our evolution obviously amount a fairly greenish nature :) lending to a greater perception of the ranges of the green portion of the spectrum, ie we can pick up more subtitles

QUOTE]
Thanks for that. I guess that makes sense really when you think about it.

Hi in responce to your request for information about tracking, practise practise practise, all the equipment in the world cant help you if you do not understand what you see hear smell, However as all ready mentioned lolly pop sticks marked red and grean are good for placeing into found tracks, this helps you predict foot placement, tape measure, graph paper for drawings to help with scale, a powerfull torch or mirror so you can adjust your light source, tracking stick, plaster cast stuff, digital camera, sealable poly bag for pooo hairs etc and or specimine jars. note book pair of 8x30 binos. and finaly a map compass and poss a gps. You can talk further about this if you send me an e-mail mike-armstrong@tiscali.co.uk

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
This might sound a daft question , but what exactly is a tracking stick and how is it used ?
Pumbaa

A tracking stick is used to calculate the length of a track. Once you have determined someones pace you can use the stick to help you find the next track.
All you do then is to mark the stick along its length ( i use an elastic band) you can also record the shoe size on the stick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE