Looking for Swimming holes. (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
My wife and I went hiking on the Glade Creek Trail in the New River in WV USA.

Lunch

husbandandwife.jpg

Spied a nice hole off the trail
trail.jpg

spy.jpg

The trail put you on top of the falls then you had to cross the top, climb down the far side to get to the pool. The trail was originally a narrow gauge railroad trail from back in the early logging/coal mining days that is the reason for the stone wall by the falls.

wifeontop.jpg

downside.jpg

fallsside.jpg

It was really deep I couldn't get a foothold in front of the falls and had to hang on with my hands.

swim.jpg

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nice pics. I could have done with a little dip today, it was roasting.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Abbe Osram said:
Mate,
that looks like a nasty place your wife is climbing. If she would have slipped on the moss it would have been bad.
How far where you in the bush?

cheers
Abbe

It was really slick but we climbed really super careful and there were these kind of roots looped out like handles you could use.

That was maybe about 5 miles from the nearest road. We had to walk about 3.5 miles on a gated off road and the 2 miles up the trail. Got terrible blisters from the hard gravel road. Next time we will start at the North end where you can drive right to the end of the trail. The whole trail is six miles long. Supposedly swimming holes all along the length. If we had known though we'd had started at the other end so we could have had more trail walking and less road walking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE