Looking for some homemade wax..Beeswax combo type stuff

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Enough to do a cotton canvas swag, Swap for paracord survival bracelet with shackle take yer pic or i can make another different pattern different colour as long as it's black and orange or Khaki...Anyone? :)

Snapshot_20150815_1_zps6oou1ukq.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can give you beeswax Stevie, and the address to send to for more beautiful stuff at a bargain price too.
The resin you'll need to forage up Chatelherault for though :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To make the greenland mixture for proofing canvas…..well, you don't really need the resin, just an oil of some kind. Paraffin wax gets added to it nowadays commercially, in the past they used linseed oil….but you have to really be careful to let that dry off, it's one that will give off heat and if it can't dissipate it'll go on fire.

M

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
yeah i was thinking of using candle wax as a direct replacement to paraffin wax. I dont want to be turning my swag into a massive wick. i'll be using it around open flames. Would Bees wax and Candle Wax combo be ok.?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Much candle wax is paraffin wax, but there are often other additives such as stearin. You can buy pure paraffin wax for very little on eBay though so why risk it?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got a bar I can send you if you like. I got a load and made some up from 15% beeswax and 85% paraffin wax, which works well enough. [Without stearin as Red pointed out] You might need a couple of coats, and a heatguns what i use. Melt it Bain-Marie style if you get some.

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Ive got a bar I can send you if you like. I got a load and made some up from 15% beeswax and 85% paraffin wax, which works well enough. [Without stearin as Red pointed out] You might need a couple of coats, and a heatguns what i use. Melt it Bain-Marie style if you get some.
just ordered some on ebay before i saw your post. thanks for the offers people.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'd think very carefully about proofing your swag using this method, and certainly try it out on a piece of similar fabric before committing to the swag itself. Once it's done, it's done, and there's no going back. It will add a substantial amount of weight to what is already a hefty item and will, IMHO, bugger it up. I'd try one of Goatboy's suggestions or the Fabsil, any of which will give you a good standard of proofing without turning your bedroll into a brick. If the results are unsatisfactory for you, the wax remains an option, but I'd definitely suggest trying something else first.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I'd think very carefully about proofing your swag using this method, and certainly try it out on a piece of similar fabric before committing to the swag itself. Once it's done, it's done, and there's no going back. It will add a substantial amount of weight to what is already a hefty item and will, IMHO, bugger it up. I'd try one of Goatboy's suggestions or the Fabsil, any of which will give you a good standard of proofing without turning your bedroll into a brick. If the results are unsatisfactory for you, the wax remains an option, but I'd definitely suggest trying something else first.

Cheers, upon reflection it does seem a bit extreme. It's not really heavy to be honest with you, but i cant take the inside dacron quilt out to wax it without the wax also going onto the quilt. Also i was thinking more about breathability once waxed. I might just try Fabsil for starters and see where it goes from there. or just leave as is.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers, upon reflection it does seem a bit extreme. It's not really heavy to be honest with you, but i cant take the inside dacron quilt out to wax it without the wax also going onto the quilt. Also i was thinking more about breathability once waxed. I might just try Fabsil for starters and see where it goes from there. or just leave as is.

Fabsil will work better on that than nikwax cottom proof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE