Looking for help and advise for a hike on Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi

I'm planning a 5-6 days hike on Dartmoor in August. I will be coming from France and my Eurostar gets in London Sunday Aug 5th mid afternoon so I cannot be in Exeter/Newton Abbot on time to get a bus to the Moor.

I might end up taking a cab to around Postbridge. The nice alternative would be to find some local that can give me a ride. I opened a swap thread here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92411. So if you are around and willing to drop me from Exeter to some place suitable for tarp on the moor, you could get yourself some nice stuff ;) I can bring a bottle of French wine too!

I will work on an itinerary this week-end and ask your opinions. Trying to minimize time spent on farm lands or roads. On the way back I will probably take a bus from Princeton back to Exeter/Newton Abbot.

Cheers
P.

Last edited:

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Just noticed the Newton Abbot is actually a bit closer to Postbridge than Exeter so that makes it an option too. Don't see a train option to arrive in Ivybridge on Sunday.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I'm really surprised you haven't had a reply from one of the Dartmoor Jolly Boys. We're having a meet-up in a few weeks time and if you haven't heard from somebody by then I'll poke them all in the ribs to try to stir up some response. :rant:

If I'm not working that week, and I never know until a couple of weeks before, I might have to 'accidentally' find myself in the Dartmoor area. I could do with a few days wandering around the moor myself. Did you want to go solo or could you use some company? If you're happy with company I can probably recruit a couple more 'victims' to liven things up. I hope you have a good sense of humour and like laughing, we're experts in this subject! :)

Regarding your travel plans: Newton Abbot is generally a better choice of destination than Exeter, and it's the same train - just a couple of stops futher. What do you think is your likely ETA (date and time)? Once I know that I can give better advice.

Feel free to PM me if you need to.

Bon chance.

Sent from my home PC using Firefox.;)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I'm sure you'll find a few people here willing to help, it's just that many of us can't plan that far ahead and would have a better idea 2 weeks before you're planned arrival time.
It's the school holiday so I'll be entertaining the kids for 6 weeks, but that won't stop Ichneumon poking me with a stick though!

:p

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Cheers guys!

Would be in Exeter Aug 5th at 19:18 or in Newton Abbott at 19:39.

I would not mind at all one or a few days with like-minded fellows! Would still like also a few days on my own - not being antisocial but I guess you know the feeling too. So a mix would be perfect.

I realize it would be hard for anyone to commit now. I will bump the thread as we get closer.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Pierr, don't worry my friend some of us don't need too much persuasion to get out, so a bit closer to the date as you said revive this thread and i am sure we will be able to accomodate you , as the Newmoid said the Newton Abbot option would be best , we are within half an hour of all sorts of interesting places to visit and camp.

Atb Ivan...

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Plan A: I'm sure we can sort you out and get you to the moor one way or another. It looks like a few more of the Jolly Boys are joining in with this thread now so help a-plenty should start coming your way. Maybe organise a couple of days of social bushcraft before we send you on your lonely way. :)

Plan B: If all else fails there is a back-up: There is one last bus from Newton Abbot to Bovey Tracey (not too far from the moor) which, as long as your train is on time, you could catch. Your train arrives at 19:39, the last bus to Bovey Tracey leaves at 20:00 (Service 39) and it's less than a 10 minute walk from the train to the bus station. From Bovey Tracey to the open moor is about a 2 hour walk and it's a fair old climb but you should get to the moor before nightfall.

All the best

Ichneumon (AKA - Mr Newman, Newmoid, Green man or Icky sticky; just to avoid confusion when the 'insults' start. :D )

PS. Hey Richie! You managed to post without insulting me or casting nasturtiums. You sickening for something? :)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
PS. Hey Richie! You managed to post without insulting me or casting nasturtiums. You sickening for something? :)

I'm sickening for a night or two away! I'll save my insults and write them all down for when we meet.

I did see a loaf of bread today with your name on it............:)

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Great to see it take up. Would be lovely to have a few days of socialization ;)

Unfortunately I arrive on a Sunday evening, worst choice possible. Last bus 39 leaves at 19:40. With train arriving at 19:39 it is just enough to tease me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE