Looking for Flint...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
I've managed to get some 'U-shaped' steel strikers made for 'Flint & Steel' fire lighting but am in need of some good pieces of dark flint.
Does anyone have any kicking around where they live that I could make use of?
Here's hoping.....
Duncan

Hi Duncan. while your out and about look for car park borders with flint in it at retail parks and the like. I have found some decent bits in the past. The further south you look though the more you will find in my experience. Some one will turn up with some spare soon enough I guess.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Just a quick note:

Flint (chert) in all it's colours will still make a spark. It doesn't have to be black!

You essentially need a rock harder than the steel.

Granite will work (ie the quartz) and so will vein quartz.

Cheers

*trust me I'm a geologist*

Last edited:

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
True but the brandon flint is black as hades and it was prized for gunflints, there must be some reason for that. I've made sparks with lots of different rocks but the Brandon stuff throws more of a shower than any other rock I've tried. If you want some Brandon flint pm me your info and I'll send you out a few bits that due to my lack of talent have escaped being arrowheads.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'll gladly submit to any experiments on the subject.

In fact it would be very interesting to see if black does through more sparks than other colours.

I'm no chert expert, it could be that black flint contains a higher silica content so is a bit harder.

:dunno:

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE