looking for Crooked knife info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nice blades Duncan! I have just been watching Ray Mears working on the snow shoes on IPlayer. Your blade look pretty similar to the ones I have made, although your curve is, well, more curved...:rolleyes:

I had used some 2mm 01 steel. I feel that's a little flexible and could do with being 2.5/3mm, reducing to 2mm at the tip. I think I am going to make another one...

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Well I finished the handle of my Ray Mears crook knife, I'll oil it later.

Enzo Trapper and a sheet of sandpaper make for a nice combination.

I'm happy I got no blade wobble on my first attempt!

Concidering thats off a 3 foot bit of 2x4 I've had in the shed for about 15 years its got a nice grain to it.

And lastly in my hand (with my dog looking on).

It feels really nice in the hand, job well done.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
bladep4.jpg

Looking good.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Duncan,

It's already been asked but are you planning to knock these out and sell them?
I would definitely be interested if you do, £££ dependant and also just for the blade so I can make my own handle.

I have a paddle blank ready for carving and have been looking for a draw knife like this for a while.

As long as its oks by the MODs so we dont turn this into a sales thread I will leave it at this on the sales front :D
I would probably make a few to sell if i can get a design that works
my total knowlege on these knives can be found in this thread :rolleyes::D and im guessing on some of it.

So first thing to do is get some one who knows to try this knife and tell me if it works ;) cos i know nothing about using one or much about wood working in general :rolleyes: (can do the odd spoon )

any way still not Heat treated yet but made a start on the handle bit of walnut of a gun blank i got at a Carboot sale thought the grain bent round the handle but nope not after i cut and finished it back :lmao:

bladeHp1.jpg

bladeHp2.jpg

bladeHp3.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thats a really nice looking handle Duncan.

I'd be interested in one of these as well but only a blank so I can handle it myself should you make any for sale :rolleyes:.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Found this and this while 'cruising the bay,' allegedly originals..?? Some good pics but different to what we think of as a crooked knife.

Cheers,

Alan

Those are exactly what I think of as a crook knife if you scan back to post 6 you'll see many knives were not bent and I suspect the crook bit of the wording comes from the slanting back blade. The lack of this in the knife in post 1 would make it much more difficult to use. The pdf book in linked to from post 6 is well worth downloading as it has lots of info and pics of many originals and amazingly it's free.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I thought crooked knives were called 'crooked' because the blade wasn't in line with the handle as well, not because of the hook like in a spoon knife, is this right?? Again, I thought having it crooked meant that when you drew the knife with the handle perpendicular to the thing you are working on it would hit the wood at an angle and cut it easier?

I always envisaged that they had some hook on them, never totally flat but I see from the links they pretty much came in all shapes and hookages :D

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE