looking for a wool top

Aug 18, 2011
HELLHEAD
Hello everyone I am a new member here so apologies if this is treading old ground.

I am looking for a woolen top. the perfect woolen top. I saw a guy out near the ivinghoe beacon that had a pretty damn close to perfect one. Basically I am after a good sturdy warm jumper made of that good wool knit that is super sturdy with high collar and a low cut back.

A bit picky I know. Any body got any suggestions? Anyone got a much loved wool top they can suggest before the winter closes in too much more???

Much thanks

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How about the Bison shirt or a Swannie Ranger? The Swannie has a better collar but not quite as warm

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
theres the swanni and bison bushshirts which are heavy, thick, and bomb proof. i wear my bison as an outer layer. on a budget pendleton wool shirts are great you can get them on easy or rokit.com

gyar beat me to it shewie :D

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I got a 200g ulfrotte 1/4 zip, its really good as a mid layer. The weight, warmth and breathability make it my first choice. Dont think it would last long without a tough layer on top in the bush. Expensive but well worth it.

check out woolpower

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a good point LP, I couldn't be without my Ulfrotte stuff but I don't rate it as an outer layer either, the loose knit tends to pull easily in the rough stuff and it's forever getting bitty after a progging session. Superb for layering up and keeping the chill out but works best with a tougher outer like a Swannie or Bison or even just a cotton shirt.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wonder what the lifespan of an ulfrotte top is? I've had mine quite a few years now and its seen a lot of wear. I wonder if its as thermally efficent now as it was when new?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I have a couple of Bisons and I owned a Swannie for a while - found the Swannie quite bulky for no added warms so let it go

been looking at these recently though as they are well rated by the US bushcraft fraternity

Asbell wool

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Devold Nansen Jumper. Sounds like it fits the bill :)

norwegian-grey.jpg

EdS

EdS

Blimey Rik - you feeling OK? You spent that much on jumper. Did come with a free stove? :lmao:

Any idea of what breed of sheep the wool is from?

I've got a Herdwick wool jumper - completely hand made from clipping through to finished product. Not the softest wool (bit of an understatement) but abuse proof outer wear

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE