Longwait flasks

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I thought I'd call this thread Longwait flasks, because the people to whom these are going have had a much longer wait than I normally take. This has been down to illness and other screwing me up factors beyond my control. Apologies to all concerned for the delay.

Anyway, they're done now. I took some photos before wrapping them for the post on Monday.

Here's group photo of the flasks. The bark basket there for scale.
group.jpg

This one is for one of the bowl turners over on the Bodger's forum
bowl-turner-flask2.jpg

bowl-turner-flask.jpg

This is the back of the flask. He wanted some Shakespear text on it
bowl-turner-flask-back.jpg

This one is for Darrel Aune, over the other side of the pond
darrel-flask.jpg

This one is for Meximike on PaleoPlanet. I swapped him this for the lovely stone knife used here for scale
meximike-flask.jpg

This one is for our own Bushyboo
bushyboo-flask.jpg

They look better in real life. The flash is camera mounted and knackers some of the detail.

Once more, apologies to the recipients for the delay.

Eric

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Good looking flasks there Eric, nice work love the carvings and the text on the back of the one for the bowlturner.

B

bushyboo

Hi Eric
very nice they all look great and well worth the wait
will be waiting for the postie next week :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

cheers

Gordon

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Brilliant work as usual Eric, I hope my name is still on the waiting list!:D

Yes it is mate. I have some shoes to make next, then I'll be knocking out more flasks and tankards. I have the wolf face and paw print ready to go onto your flask. It's all about time and one pair of hands though. Once the shoes are made and paid for, I can go get some more leather for the flasks. I'm trying to put all the spare pennies I can make away to buy a set of wheels so I can get down to the bushmoot later this year.

Eric

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
that seems a very good price tbh, how much liquid would one of these hold? think i may need to treat myself to one of these lovlies come my birthday

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I thought you were gonna say a three figure price, very nice price indeed. If it holds a reasonable amount, I might buy one. Is there a waiting list? How long typically to make? How robust are they? How much do they typically weigh?

Are they just for storing water in? As if you put juice in them would they go bad?

Does the painting/picture wash/rub off?
And I notice the pictures are all only in black, red and orange colours, why is this? Do other colours not show?

Do they need polished/waterproofed occasionally? How thick leather do you use?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice work Eric, and a great price.

"one of the bowlturners" makes it sound like there are lots of us...that'll be for Gavin I presume?

I like the Shakespeare quote I put that one in my wooden bowl book to show how in Elizabethan times the words bowl and cup were used interchangeably and most folk up to that time still drank from bowls rather than goblet type forms.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Eric

Please put me on the waiting list for TWO of your flasks, A wild dogs face and paw print would be good for me to!

Thanks

Adam.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I thought you were gonna say a three figure price, very nice price indeed. If it holds a reasonable amount, I might buy one. Is there a waiting list? How long typically to make? How robust are they? How much do they typically weigh?

Are they just for storing water in? As if you put juice in them would they go bad?

And I notice the pictures are all only in black, red and orange colours, why is this? Do other colours not show?

Lots of excellent questions there. I'll try and answer them as best I can.

No, they're not just for water. You can use them for water, fruit juice, whisky, wine in fact anything except coca-cola or other fizzy pop.

The image won't rub or wash off in normal use. These flasks shouldn't be washed in soapy water, and definitely not put in a dishwasher. A rinse in cold water and a wipe over the outside with a damp cloth is all the maintenance they need.

The colours I used are what's best suited to the subject. They show up best once the flask is waxed as it all goes a couple of shades darker. The black and red generally stay true, but what you see as orange was originally yellow/gold. The wax darkens it. I do use browns, but you lose that completely once it darkens and blue tends to look blackish too once the wax has done it's job.

The leather is 3 - 4mm veg tanned cow hide.

They'll benefit from a going over with normal boot polish from time to time and a good brush over with the 'taking off brush'. That'll just give them a nice shine. They don't need re-waterproofing. The hot wax dipping method means that the entire flask is submerged in a big bath of hot molten beeswax. This allows the wax to permeate right into the leather from both outside and in. The leather and wax become as one, so it's not just a coating on the surface of the flask.

They are incredibly robust. Once the wax and leather are combined, the flask is hard as nails. It is crushable but it takes some effort, like sitting on it or standing on it. However, if this happened, you just put the flask in the oven for ten minutes or so so soften the wax, push it back into shape and allow it to cool again so the wax rehardens. If it leaks around the seam after doing this, a small amount of wax (melted in a cup in the microwave) poured into the flask and swilled along the seam will reseal the seam so it'll be good as new once more.

There is a waiting list right now for these. I have some shoes to make for some roman soldiers, then I have flasks and tankards to make for this season's reenactors markets. Once these are done I can get on with custom flasks like the ones in the photos.

Anyone interested, can you please PM me as I don't want to do any trading on this thread.

Eric

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
If I was wearing a hat right now Eric, it'd be off to your skills with leather.

I've only as of lately begun playing with strap leather, and seeing this work inspires me to do much, much more. Keep it up brother, you are a true artisan. :You_Rock_

B

bushyboo

YIPEE
It came today must say the photo does not do it justice ,its a work of art
well worth the wait i am one very happy bunny
Eric you are a craftsman and an artist

thanks again and again and again

Gordon :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE