"Long Tail Tree "Chicken" Stew"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
AKA = Squirrel!

I made this for the Moot communal meal, not sure if everyone who ate it knew what it was.

Squirrel, bacon, chorizo, onion, courgette, red pepper, chicken stock, garlic, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper. + polenta.
Slow simmered the squirrel saddle/back legs with some fresh thyme, then de-boned. Strained the stock, added bone free meat. Separately browned off chunked bacon and sausage, then used the oil released to wilt onion (ring cut) and pepper (strip cut), then added these and other ingredients back into the squirrel pot. Simmered for about an hour, then added in three handfuls of polenta to thicken.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I wasn't there but it would not surprise me a bit if people didn't know what it was, only had it a couple of times but very nice it was, underrated meat imho :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I wasn't there but it would not surprise me a bit if people didn't know what it was, only had it a couple of times but very nice it was, underrated meat imho :)

I agree; if only we could get more people eating it we would have less of a problem. The trouble is they look quite cute down the end of a telescopic sight :)

grey.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Squirrel, Rabbit, Succotash, Corn, Rutabagas or Turnip roots, Tomatoes. All the fixings for a great Brunswick Stew.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
I agree; if only we could get more people eating it we would have less of a problem. The trouble is they look quite cute down the end of a telescopic sight :)

View attachment 50143
game in general should make up a bigger part of our diet. I can take or leave squirrel but it's nice to know your eating perhaps the most sustainable meat source in the UK.

Venison is another thing we should be eating more of! get to know your local Forestry Commission wildlife ranger and you can get some real bargings if your willing to skin and butcher the deer yourself.

eat game, save trees!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you can get permission to hunt and hunt enough for food, it is a lot of work.
With enough, you'e in a position to quietly barter for other meats and foods.
You have got to spring for a medium-sized freezer to make it happen.

I think I'd take a meat butchering course were I in the UK.
Then go after those "muntjac?" Small deer. They introduced vermin pests?
Pop a whole bunch of introduced Grey(?) squirrel, too.

Believe me, cooking that same damn deer every night, you can smell it.
Trade for elk, moose, maybe a piece of bear ham, some lamb and beef and things are looking up.
I have enjoyed being a bird hunter for many decades. Ducks & Canada geese, wild turkey,
3 kinds of grouse and 2 kinds of ptarmigan up top. Those I keep for my own table.
Bush rabbits are few and far between as are the little red squirrels. I can't be bothered.
The pheasants and turkeys are away down south of me, too far to drive for on a regular basis.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
At least the fish and rabbits are small so I'd hope for differences in taste!
If squirrel hunting was productive and sustainable, I'd cook samples to promote bartering.
I'm retired. I can hunt all day long as long as I don't miss my nap time.
I've never lived in a place that had a big squirrel population to hunt. I would if I could.
Wrapped in bacon and spitted over a camp fire with some onion, must be OK.

Our Ruffed Grouse is the one most like the Red Grouse that I've seen on the NYorks moors.
Season end one November, I had 55 birds in the freezer and ate many others.
If those had been the introduced squirrels in the UK, I'd trade for root veg at least.

Paleo food and lifestyle isn't over yet in Canada. I've been in a 1-car garage, sand floor with 200 salmon hanging over
smoldering Alder fire. Every house! The car is in the driveway. My friend didn't fish but she has moose to trade.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
At least the fish and rabbits are small so I'd hope for differences in taste!
If squirrel hunting was productive and sustainable, I'd cook samples to promote bartering.
I'm retired. I can hunt all day long as long as I don't miss my nap time.
I've never lived in a place that had a big squirrel population to hunt. I would if I could.
Wrapped in bacon and spitted over a camp fire with some onion, must be OK......
Either you have hordes of squirrels or you have none. There's no in between.

Best disjointed, dredged in flour, and fried like chicken. Better still if you then make gravy with the drippings and return the fried pieces back to simmer a bit before serving with a side of mashed taters or rice and a green veg (preferably collards or green beans) and sweet iced tea. Add biscuits or cornbread and you have a perfect meal.

FSG1808-09-14.jpg

southern-fried-squirrel.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Looks about right. I think that we have enough predators (Fisher, Mink, Marten, Lynx, Bobcat, coyote, wolf, eagles and hawks)
that the squirrel population is just about invisible. I recall that it's unusual to see one.
The grouse populations go up and down like a yo-yo.
When it's good, it's fantastic. Birds all over the place.
Respectful of the limits, my partner and I are very proficient bird hunters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE