London Camping Locations

May 8, 2014
London
Hello everyone,

i have been enjoying your posts and articles for a while now and have learned a lot. I go out weekly for a walk in Epping forest as it is close to where I live and quite a large bit of woodland. I've gotten to a point where I can even walk 25-30 miles in one day (with some difficulty). But the forest administration is not giving permission to camp there and the camp sites are loud and crowded and cleared of trees (so my tarp and hammock are useless). Does anybody know any privately owned woodland around the London area? I love being outdoors and practising my bushcraft but I cannot for the life of me find a place to do it. I've even recently found a couple of other young people who would rather spend their weekends doing something worth while rather than waste time in a loud pub or a louder club. We are a quiet bunch and very conscious about preserving the woodland and minimizing our impact ( and would follow the rules of talking to a land owner given on bushcraft.uk). If anyone knows of such a place or the contact information of land owners and would consider sharing it please let me know ( very open about telling you a little more about myself as i understand this sort of information isn't just given out so easily). Much appreciated to anyone who can lend a hand with this one. Thank you for all the advice and the help you give here.

Kind regards,
M.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I don't know of any such places in London. Have you tried the Epping Forest campsite during the week? I've been there a few times on week nights and it is lovely and quiet then and right on the edge of the forest.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Are you happy to get a train out of London? Ashford is 37 minutes by train from St Pancras, about half an hour from Stratford, from there you could join the Kent Groups Activities.

Julia

May 8, 2014
London
I'm sure I could convince my friends to go for a train ride, but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Kent Group, so I'll look them up (are they by any chance called Kent Bushcrafters?). Are the woods there privately owned? Again thank you for the info, although I've not interacted with people on this website before it's refreshing to see that people still love and enjoy the outdoors and are also so nice and welcoming.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
We are the BCUK kent group, see the meet ups section for what we are upto we are a very young group on BCUK. Depending on what we are upto, we use a mixture of Public and private spaces depending on what we are upto.

Julia

May 8, 2014
London
Seems we just missed one of your meet ups this weekends which is a shame because we were also out in Epping. I have subscribed to the thread but cannot see anything planned for the near future (or am I missing it?). Let me know if you have anything planned. Thanks!

M.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am about to put up dates for the next meetups in the next week. We've only just had the May meet, so I am trying to work out the date for the June one.

Will post info in the meet ups - south east, section, same as all the others.

We have a pub meet once a month next will be on the 10th of June. Tho I imagine it's a long way (and money) to come down here for a pint and chat to some bushcrafters.

Julia

May 8, 2014
London
I'll keep an eye out for sure. I am going to be abroad from june 3rd until the 10th anyway, so I was looking for anything both before and after those dates. I'll let my friends know and hopefully we will be able to join your group next time.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I guess you've been to http://www.debdenhouse.com/

Other than there I don't know of any other bushcraft woodlands type camps around. If you find somewhere let us know!

I find Epping forest gets a bit busy in the main parts during summer, funny when you consider how big it is.

If you are out that way you may want to visit the Epping Onger railway - http://eorailway.co.uk/

enjoy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE