log cabin material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikeb46

Jan 1, 2009
Llangollen, North Wales
hello all

Ive been looking at building a small log cabin on my land for sometime, i got a few books and that, the problem i am having is source the wood. There are plenty of trees about but i obviously can not go on forestry land and chop a few out.

Does any know of a round wood source or that kind of thing in the north wales area?

ps I have been to a few builder/timber merchants but most look puzzled when i say all i want is the tree which has been cut down and de branched.

cheers mike

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I know little about this but I do know of fellow radio hams who have bought surplus telegraph poles from BT to use as antenna supports - don't know if you can still get them.
I guess they would be already seasoned and treated.

Calvin Rutstrum wrote a book on log cabin construction but obviously from a US perspective. I guess planning permission could be an issue in the UK.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I know little about this but I do know of fellow radio hams who have bought surplus telegraph poles from BT to use as antenna supports - don't know if you can still get them.
I guess they would be already seasoned and treated.

Do check what the telegraph poles were once impregnated with. Then read up the health issues. Around here it was creosote or CCA (copper-chrome-arsenic). Not quite on the list of good home building materials.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
ps I have been to a few builder/timber merchants but most look puzzled when i say all i want is the tree which has been cut down and de branched.

cheers mike

Right, they don't make any money on that deal.

Probably won't help you but, I have several log cabins on my farm and the ones that have stood the longest with the least problems are White Oak.

pwb

We've built a few sheds and buildings on the estate using our own wood. Mostly sitka spruce, which does require preservative treatment.

What about larch it's quite durable even in contact with the ground, we use it for fence posts and strainers.
I think your best bet is to go direct to a saw mill and explain your needs to them.

Did a bit of searching and came up with:
http://www.glasfrynfencing.co.uk/Fencing_and_Landscaping_Timbers.php

Hope this is of help.
Cheers, Pete.

forestwalker

I'd call logging companies, land owners with forest ready to be cut, or firewood dealers. Explain that you need X logs, straight, stump end(?). See what they say. You would have to haul the logs away from where ever, peel and perhaps allow to dry somewhat.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
hello all

Ive been looking at building a small log cabin on my land for sometime, i got a few books and that, the problem i am having is source the wood. There are plenty of trees about but i obviously can not go on forestry land and chop a few out.

Does any know of a round wood source or that kind of thing in the north wales area?

cheers mike

Have you ever watched Dick Proennekes "Alone in the Wilderness" ?

Inspiring to watch and should be quite useful to you

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Plantation thinings or other woodland/forestry opperations should be your best bet.
Forestry commssion and contractors to them should be your best bet. Plenty of trees in Wales!

mikeb46

Jan 1, 2009
Llangollen, North Wales
yeah cheers guy, larch is the wood i was looking for as it meant to be the best for this country lovely wet weather. Ive got both Dick Proennekes books and videos, he is the main reason i got the idea of building a cabin.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
You could try one of the BSW mills in wales for roundwood. Google BSW and you will be able to see where your nearest one is. Alternatively you can try the FC and ask where they are thinning/clearfelling. Following this train of thought you could do a little tour of the district and see where these operations are on going and ask the harvester or forwarder driver who his marketing manager is and approach from that direction.
My pal Dan at www.woodenways.com says that bigger is better in the diameter area as you will build more wall with a single large stick up against several smaller ones. This though brings transport problems as large freshly cut sticks are VV heavy! You should remember this when dealing with the purchasing as transport is the second biggest operation with harvesting.
Remember too, as the produce is cut to exacting lengths you will have to work within these dimensions as the mills do not want waste it is a process that they want to keep to a minimum.
There is an alternative in that you could bid on a self loading wagon load of 16' sawlogs and have these delivered right to your door!
I would consider this if you lived nearer! A good sale is a good sale! You would probably use most of a load if you built a good building.
I hope this helps, Swyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE