Loch Long again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A blether with Gailainne led to an impromptu weekend away. Would have ben criminal not to make the most of the weather.
I arrived about four hours early and settled right back into the lazy vibe of a couple of weeks ago. First priority was finding shade which a wee cliff not far from the bothy provided. A slight tidal eddy kept the boat pinned to the rock face and in the metre or so of shadow while I took a siesta.

LLONG_JUL_01.jpg

After a while I started slowly along the loch. Stuck close to shore where the trees were shading, when Stephen arrived I was almost dozing off again in the last wee bay before the lighthouse.

LLONG_JUL_02.jpg

We carried on to camp, offloaded then headed straight back out to hit the mackerel that were splashing about in noisy shoals all over the loch.

LLONG_JUL_03.jpg

Home sweet home.

LLONG_JUL_04.jpg

Stephen the next day playing with a fresnel lens.

LLONG_JUL_05.jpg

...and rather impressive it was too. Not unlike playing a blowtorch over the wood, only took seconds to burst into flame.

LLONG_JUL_06.jpg
LLONG_JUL_07.jpg

The big ol' local seal taking a siesta of his own. Bobbing around in circles and drifting about the bay.

LLONG_JUL_08.jpg

Popped out in the evening and stocked up the grill again.

LLONG_JUL_09.jpg

I'll refrain from bursting into 'The Mary Ellen Carter'...
...for the hundredth time. :rolleyes: Can't help myself - it pops to mind even when I'm faced with a swamped canoe, let alone a proper wreck.

LLONG_JUL_10.jpg

The trip home on sunday was far from the relaxed affair we'd expected. Solid headwind all the way and when we turned into Long at the lighthouse it had me about stationary.
I've come across this twice here before, easterlies turning south as they spill into the valley. Both times I crossed and there was a calm stretch along the eastern shore but this time when we got over there was still a headwind hammering down the loch - not as heavy though, there was slow progress made and even a couple of vaguely sheltered spots for short breaks.

Sneaking round the lee of the tankers is a bit naughty but they were just sitting unloading, there was no activity and frankly I was shattered. Given a choice between flat calm for a few hundred metres or heading out midloch back into the headwind, naughty won out.

LLONG_JUL_11.jpg

:)
Josh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful just ! :D
Looks utterly blissful Josh :) I loved weekends like that down the lochs, I ended up looking like a gypsy and my father swore I'd grow fins if I didn't get out of the water :eek:

Good times, good company :)

Thank you for sharing :D

Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Can't put it better than Mary with her Lillian Beckwith quote - Beautiful Just. Great place and good company. A wee bit of oatmeal on the mackerel to go toasty and nutty and some boiled tatties with a twist of pepper. Grilled on the BBQ (Though the way you do is just as good.) HEAVEN. Could feel the tension melt from me just looking and reading. Thank you for posting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE