Loch Ken Overnighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
The weekend just gone, I took my 10 year old son, Evan, for his first solo paddle in his own canoe. My brother in law Steve joined us too. I bought Evan a Venture Ottowa 13'4" canoe a few months ago, and this was his first chance to paddle it after I'd done a few mods ( installed airbags, raised the seats and added painters ).

Evan has solo paddled my Novacraft Cronje 17' for a few short instances in the past, so he knew the basics. This time though, I told to just change sides to steer, as it was more important for him to get a feel for his canoe rather than concentrate on perfecting steering strokes for the time being. This became apparent as it was quite windy on the loch on our outward journey, with a fair sized swell. The pics don't really show this however, as I waited until we were in a more sheltered place before taking them.

Evan did really well though, and didn't seem concerned by the swell at all. Unlike me, I had my heart in my mouth every time it picked up his canoe and he semi-surfed down it.

When we arrived at my favourite camping spot, Steve and I got the hammocks set up while Evan collected some firewood, when he wasn't distracted by climbing trees.

Spot the boy:

As darkness approached, I got Evan to de-bark some green sticks for our grill, and we lit the fire with a bit of birchbark and made some coals for the BBQ.

After dinner, the fire was built up with again and Steve and I had a few scoops around the fire. I'd bought some Soda Stream lemonade concentrate and added it to freshly filtered loch water for Evan, who complained bitterly that he was the only one on the trip who wasn't allowed beer.

We all had a good lie in the following morning, and had just finished breakfast when we heard a loud rumbling coming from the south. We were all amazed to see two Lancaster bombers flying low along the loch. Spectacular, but unfortunately none of us got any pics.

We then packed up and had a pleasant paddle back to our start point in much less windy, but still breezy conditions.

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Would you like to adopt a forty something Scottish orphan? Sounds a great family trip, so much fun for you all (and the Lacs were just the cherries on the cake!)

Sounds like Evan is going to be a great 'crafter with a start like that.

jack5319

Sep 23, 2013
manchester
i was up at loch ken just a few weeks ago and what a beautiful part of the world it is! unfortunately i ran out of time to get out on the loch to do some paddling!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just as long as you don't mind your adopted dad using your house as a hotel and drinking all your whisky.
Sounds like a plan, especially as you can spell whisky (not whiskey - though a drop of the Irish is nice too!).

Looks a great trip, miss my Canadian still and it's been gone for years. Still have an inflatable Canadian (that sounds a bit wrong!) though don't really get a chance to use it these days.

Glad you all had a great time.

GB.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Great stuff Micheal, the wee canoe looks ideal. :)
Evan must be pretty used to the water given that he's been paddling since he was big enough to act as useful ballast. Won't be long before he's pointing at frothy stuff.
"How about that river dad? Can we paddle it?"
"ahhhhh, ermmmmm........" :theyareon
Hopefully see you both on the water again sometime.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Great stuff Micheal, the wee canoe looks ideal. :)
Evan must be pretty used to the water given that he's been paddling since he was big enough to act as useful ballast. Won't be long before he's pointing at frothy stuff.
"How about that river dad? Can we paddle it?"
"ahhhhh, ermmmmm........" :theyareon
Hopefully see you both on the water again sometime.

I think that he may be a little reluctant to try a river for a while Josh, after I dunked him in the Border Esk....

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/fo...order-Esk-28th-29th-May-2011&highlight=border

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE