Loch Fyne

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A few pics from last week out at Loch Fyne.
(click the panoramas for bigger images)

Home sweet home.

LF_MAR_01.jpg

Camp was crawling with glow worms. Too early in the season for displays but it's nice to see they're doing well.

LF_MAR_02.jpg

A big ol' adder paid us a visit.

LF_MAR_03.jpg

The sika hinds were nearly back to their summer colour with the spots showing through. The stags were still quite dark, this pair still had a single antler apiece....

LF_MAR_04.jpg

....and one had only three legs(and a stump). I watched him for a while and he seemed happy enough. They grazed their way up the glen a bit where he hopped over a wee burn no bother.

LF_MAR_05.jpg

With the force 4ish and gusty breeze we seen most of the week the eagle was having to put a bit of work into flying rather than the usual effortless glide. Look even bigger when their wings are flapping.

LF_MAR_06.jpg

LF_MAR_07.jpg

Got the pots out early then it was ages until there was a lull in the wind to allow me to get them in again. Forecast said it was going to pick up again so I didn't put them back out which was a drag as I'd found a dead dogfish that would have made great bait.
Still - got a nibble out of it. Just fitted in the big pot so really it was the perfect size.
(Lots of little ones too that went back in.)

LF_MAR_08.jpg

Spuds, veg and a steak pie in the oven.

LF_MAR_09.jpg

Wandered up the hill and across some of the heath. Rhodie free all the way I'm happy to say.

:)
Josh

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Fantastic Pics Josh ,Looks like u all had a great trip again.You certainly got the weather for it.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Was so nice to see the sun. Seemed to be a high proportion of soggy outings in the last year so great to not have to think about shelters or keeping things dry.
Felt almost like cheating to be honest. :cool: Kept checking there was nothing left out even though there wasn't a drop of rain all week.:rolleyes:

Had the bivy bag open and dozed off to a star show most nights.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff Josh, looks like I missed another nice trip.

About that 3 legged deer, it can't be a natural injury as it would never survive that kind of trauma would it? The chances of natural recovery must be virtually zero? So that must mean it's a farmed herd right, why wouldn't it have just been put down rather than it being operated on?

I've seen three legged pets before but never anything wild.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Don't know if there are many managed Sika herds anymore. They're generaly regarded as a threat to the purity of the red deer(they interbreed and are a lot smaller).
At one time certainly - they'll have been introduced and looked after. These days attitudes are closer to them being four legged rhodies. Scott's had words spoken to him in the past about the population on the land.
In reality they're probably from the same stock we saw forty miles away at Sween so are obviously out of control and beyond reigning in.
They drive out the roe as well. They're bigger, more aggressive and vocal. The roe might be seen as a pest in the sticks but in general red on the hills and roe in the glens is the scottish way and sika interfere with both.

They are gorgeous though. Last month I saw a stag on the paddle in - he was stood on a slab on shore, black mane and antlered. Pretty as a winter picture.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Great pics Josh.
Cheers.
....and you were missed. We were lying sunbathing and Stuart told me of your trick of naming birdcall as quick as nature could pump it out. Have to say I was fascinated and we've decided that you need to come out sometime and tell us what lives there. ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Great stuff Josh, looks like I missed another nice trip.

About that 3 legged deer, it can't be a natural injury as it would never survive that kind of trauma would it? The chances of natural recovery must be virtually zero? So that must mean it's a farmed herd right, why wouldn't it have just been put down rather than it being operated on?

I've seen three legged pets before but never anything wild.

I've never seen a three legged wild creature either. I wonder though if the survival rate might be tied to its status as hunter or prey? I mean a prey animal with only three legs (crippled) would quickly be killed by a hunting species. Likewise a hunting animal with the same disability would likely be unable to successfully kill its prey and would probably starve. I suppose what I'm suggesting/asking is that possibly in the wild it might not be the trauma of the injury that kills an animal that loses a leg, but rather the resulting disabilities? If so, then perhaps there is a lack of natural predators hunting the Sitka in the UK?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
No perhaps about it. Beyond fawns taken by foxes and raptors there are no natural predators at all.
There's also an abundance of food and relatively mild winters. Not a bad place at all to be a three legged deer really.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Great Pics Josh ,.... And i take you must have been doing the sun dance before you went :)

Cheers for sharing

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE