Loch Fyne

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A few pics from the weekend....

Carradale Goat, not sure if that's a breed name or just a localism. Given that Carradale is nearly 20 miles away I reckon Kintyre Goat might be more appropriate.
Quite attractive beasties, there was a group of half a dozen but my attempts to photograph them from the boat resulted in so many white blurs. This one was curious though and came round to watch us bobbing by and I managed to fluke a nearly decent piccie.

LF_MAY_01.jpg

Paddling conditions were great with a hefty tailwind and an entertaining swell. Was just a little too lively to fish from the canoe though and launching/landing bordered on the comical(A mixture of laughter and many profanities seemed to help the process along nicely:D).

LF_MAY_02.jpg

Took a wander on saturday looking for things to take snaps of. Still just getting used to the new camera.
Everything seems a bit late this year, the bluebells were just coming out. Primroses were out in force.

LF_MAY_03.jpg

Ransoms were yet to flower, just starting to send their buds up.

LF_MAY_04.jpg

The woods were carpeted in a light covering of Violets. At least I think that's what they are - not quite the same colour as any I've seen before.

LF_MAY_05.jpg

LF_MAY_06.jpg

Wood Sorrell was everywhere. On the ground, on downed trees, on moss covered rocks....

LF_MAY_07.jpg

Some teeny coastal dweller(Flowerus weeus).

LF_MAY_08.jpg

Irritatingly, when I went investigating an area of the wood on sunday morning that I've never walked through before I forgot to lift the camera. True to sods law I came across all sorts of interesting thingumys:
- A closefitting drystain box about 1.5m x 1.5m x 1m high in remarkably good condition with a slot at the bottom of one side(possibly a wee charcoal kiln?).
- A mud insect nest - perfectly spherical about the size of a football hanging from the end of a broken birch branch. No occupants evident, entry holes looked about wasp sized.
- Deersbane gully. Ran down the hill to near the coast with the skeletal remains of three or more deer at the bottom.
- Another possible roundhouse site not far from the mystery box.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks, will go snap-happy on the area then.

Missed the Otter show at camp:(. Scott was treated to a pair in fearless mode playing on the beach for ten minutes or so right in front of him. Saw the show a couple of years ago, sorry I missed it this time.

:)
Josh

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
According to Scott I had "that panicky look" trying to launch, then I fell over having just landed and was probably lucky to have a BA protecting my spine, there were midgies, I set up a lousy roasting fire for the kebab-burritos one night, hadn't sharpened the wee knife that's replaced my lost folder, rained so hard things got wet, etc......

Perfect.;)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I do love that part of the world. :D

Come on out sometime, there's always spare seats in the boats.

It's a "tread lightly" area covered by a number of conservation orders but is still a great place to camp and get some fishing in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE