Loch Achray meet 13th -16th October, 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Looks like a pretty good setup for the price!
Unfortunately, it says that the max height for the person is 6'2" and I'm 6'4"... dunno how much of a difference it'd make, though, as I've never slept in a hammock...

I'll move over to the Kit Chatter section so I don't get this thread too OT :eek:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Draven said:
Looks like a pretty good setup for the price!
Unfortunately, it says that the max height for the person is 6'2" and I'm 6'4"... dunno how much of a difference it'd make, though, as I've never slept in a hammock...

I'll move over to the Kit Chatter section so I don't get this thread too OT :eek:

The double hammock from these guys is the same quality as the group buy hammocks but a bit bigger.

http://www.paradisehammocks.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=25_30&osCsid=e02cf8a7b4c195e11db7973595a4f653

I use one of these or the group buy ones and can never decide which is best. I am six foot 3 so you should be fine.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
draven, i think you must be my long lost cousin or something, i too am 6'5'' with a broken tent, in need of equipment and travelling from west lothian!!!

i am definitely going though, and might hire a car to share with gregorach... i'm sure you could jump in. maybe pm me for details?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'll be travelling from Edinburgh, and will have some space in the car. I'm planning to go from Friday pm to Sunday after lunch (or therabouts)

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Well I might be able to make the saturday and sunday as I will be returning from a weeks holiday with the kids so might take some time on my own - will know nearer the time so put me down for a possible.

Cheers

JFW

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just returning from a very busy and non-bushcrafty summer and noticed a meet planned! As far as I can tell I'm free that weekend, but no guarantees yet - so put me down as a maybe.

JohnC - I'll be in touch about a possible lift from Edinburgh :)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
locum76 said:
draven, i think you must be my long lost cousin or something, i too am 6'5'' with a broken tent, in need of equipment and travelling from west lothian!!!

i am definitely going though, and might hire a car to share with gregorach... i'm sure you could jump in. maybe pm me for details?
:lmao: maybe, mate... maybe!
&... PM sent ;)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Toddy, do you still want to see how to tie up a rope stretcher?
Had a rope in the car last time but, y'know, the midgies and all. :rolleyes:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks, just a few more questions :rolleyes:
OK, normally when I go camping I'll have a fresh supply of water nearby, so I don't really worry about how much to bring. I just bring enough for the trip there...
So how drinkable is the water at Loch Achray? Will there be a fresh stream nearby? If possible I'd like to avoid using purification tabs... should I just bring enough water for the weekend? If so, how much is that? :confused:

Another thing I've been thinkin about is food... and not just because I've just finished dinner :rolleyes:. How much dyou reckon I should bring, and what types? Canned foods? Would fresh foods like sausages or bacon last the weekend unrefrigerated? Should I just jerky a whole cow and bring it? :D Dried fruits?

Sorry if those questions are a bit daft :rolleyes: and if this is the wrong place to post, tell me and I'll move somewhere else ;)

Cheers folks!
Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grooveski said:
Toddy, do you still want to see how to tie up a rope stretcher?
Had a rope in the car last time but, y'know, the midgies and all. :rolleyes:

Yes please :D
midgies :( , I know it's beautiful at Loch Achray, but it's not my favourite bit of the world 'cos of the little blighters. However, I have a cunning plan....though I'm going to be a bit hyper.....I'm going to take the anti-histamines for several days *before* I go, and see if that gives me peace :rolleyes: and I've dyed a fine linen muslin scarf green, using bog myrtle, to use as a shemagh *and* I'm tincturing up an anti midge ointment too :D :D :cool: ( I want a bubbling cauldron smilie)

I brought an old climbing rope with me last time too, but it stayed in the car too, sorry. I want to talk about canoes as well this time.

Cheers,
Toddy

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
I'd hope that most of the Loch Achry midgie population would be gone by the time we have the meet. Maybe we should even hope for a couple of cold nights before hand to kill them off. So Toddy are you going to be talked into getting a canoe now? :D I'm sure John will be at you all weekend showing you all the benefits, and you are more than welcome to have a go on mine. Hopefuly I will have moved house to Hamilton before the meet as I will not like the thought of moving looming over me.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Following the last midnight canoe trip, I got a go in my brother in laws canoe. I was hoping to gradually introduce the wife to the idea of a canoe. Imagine my surprise when she climbed out after only one trip round Loch Winnoch and said "we should get one of these".....

Am now hoping to borrow a Granfors axe in the (vain) hope of a similar reaction :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
JohnC said:
Following the last midnight canoe trip, I got a go in my brother in laws canoe. I was hoping to gradually introduce the wife to the idea of a canoe. Imagine my surprise when she climbed out after only one trip round Loch Winnoch and said "we should get one of these".....

Am now hoping to borrow a Granfors axe in the (vain) hope of a similar reaction :rolleyes:

:lmao: You can borrow mine :D I've even painted a bit of it pink :rolleyes:
Before I get slated for heresay/ a hanging offence on the forum, think about it......what teenage numptie is gonna nick a *girlie* axe?

I've just finally cleared out the last three kayaks out of the garage, white water and surf are fun, but we both ache too much these days for them, and the boys can buy their own when they take a notion for one. HWMBLT used to have a two man Canadian slalom boat, but he's not taking me up on the open Canadian one, yet. My Dad built a lot of dory's and I reckon a canoe is as close as I'm likely to get. He used to say I was, *Clyde built*, y'know, broad in the beam and unsinkable :rolleyes: :eek: don't know about that, I capsized in a lot of cold Scottish water, brrrrrrrrrrrr :( Loch Fyne anyone? :eek:

atb,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Draven said:
Howdy folks, just a few more questions :rolleyes:
OK, normally when I go camping I'll have a fresh supply of water nearby, so I don't really worry about how much to bring. I just bring enough for the trip there...
So how drinkable is the water at Loch Achray? Will there be a fresh stream nearby? If possible I'd like to avoid using purification tabs... should I just bring enough water for the weekend? If so, how much is that? :confused:

Another thing I've been thinkin about is food... and not just because I've just finished dinner :rolleyes:. How much dyou reckon I should bring, and what types? Canned foods? Would fresh foods like sausages or bacon last the weekend unrefrigerated? Should I just jerky a whole cow and bring it? :D Dried fruits?

Sorry if those questions are a bit daft :rolleyes: and if this is the wrong place to post, tell me and I'll move somewhere else ;)

Cheers folks!
Pete

i wouldn't drink the water at loch achray, so bring water or purify.
as to food, i find bacon and sausages keep well enough if you keep them in a coolbag.
i bring things like cous-cous, salami, noodles, mini babybel, cereal bars etc
callander is close by so if you want fresh you could drive in on a re-supply run.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
hi we would like to come, wife and i, it will be our first moot except for the little meet we stumbled on to in cheshire. can you give us some advice.
Is it best for TIPI or Hammock, should we bring our canoe and lastly can i bring my dog (Husky) very well behaved. I think Goose is jumping in with us. so if thats ok then its 3 places. is there any costs camp fee's etc.
Thanks for the help
:yelrotflm

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
John Dixon said:
hi we would like to come, wife and i, it will be our first moot except for the little meet we stumbled on to in cheshire. can you give us some advice.
Is it best for TIPI or Hammock, should we bring our canoe and lastly can i bring my dog (Husky) very well behaved. I think Goose is jumping in with us. so if thats ok then its 3 places. is there any costs camp fee's etc.
Thanks for the help
:yelrotflm

Hi John, i think for the tipi,hammock situation you could bring either,the tipi might be a problem if there are quite a few people with tents,but on saying that i'm not sure how many are tenting it. I don't think there will be a problem with the dog either as there have been dogs before and as for the cost if i remember correctly it was about 75p per night.

Mind you i think MagiKelly will be able to give you more definetive answers and i'm sure he will be along shortly to help.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
MagiKelly said:
Pretty much as Stuart said. There should be plenty of room for the tipi. The dog will be fine and the cost is about 75p per person per night.

Thats fantastic i look forward to it, are there many people taking open boats?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE