Lobsterpots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
On another thread on this site a reference was made to lobsterpots. Does anybody know if there any laws about putting out a pot or two from the beach at low tide to see if I get anything?

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Its perfectly fine in most places to put out lobster pots, you have to conform to UK "in size law", and you can not sell your catch commercially (for that the licence is needed). Some places however may have restrictions and it is best to get in touch with your local authority first to be on the safe side.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I seem to remember an article some time ago about the commercial boys having to pay a "patch fee" of some description though it's probably got a more important name than that. Anyway it's a sort of license for your pitch or area they pay for inshore, it ensures that areas are not over fished (bit late for that around here) but if you are not a commercial venture I think it's ok providing it's a small affair ie only 1 or 2 pots, plus I think Bongo's right with the size thing there is I'm sure a minimum size like the nets.

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
I got into it by making friends with the local potter who fishes the area in front of my bushcrafty spot, located some stolen pots he lost a few years back which were in the woods, so he let me sling a couple out with my net where he goes but I never knew about paying for a patch. It might be worth a friendly cuppa and a chat with the locals.

I think the regulations are 156mm length for lobster and and 140mm shell width for edible crab but its been ages since ive put the pots out so cant remember exactly but I know if they have eggs, they have to be returned, I will check locally when I get back.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Shell fisheries (and other fisheries management) is delegated to the respective county Sea Fisheries Committee (in my case Cornwall). I believe each committee can enforce its own regulations. For instance, in Cornwall 'hobby' fishermen like me are restricted to 3 pots max and obviously must abide to size limits for different species.
Its worth checking with your local committee HQ or their fisheries officers if you know them. Ours are a friendly bunch, do their job properly and efficiently. I get boarded at sea 2 or 3 times a year on routine checks.

Intertidal

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
My BIL got himself some pots, and put them out with a view of getting a few lobsters for the table, never caught a one, he could not understand why till he saw a local fishing boat hauling up his pots and either taking his catch or cutting away his bait. Local fishermen of the commercial type don’t like amateurs horning in on the way they earn a living. The BIL had a go at the fishermen when they landed. His pots vanished never to be seen again.
Be careful where you put your pots.

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
You could always pop them under the water anchored with no bouy, and snorkel down to them for servicing with a mesh back to swap bait for catch, I doubt they would go missing then!

not a patch fee normally but that could be local etc tho local fishermen will keep a freindly eye on strange pots to be Neibourly like ;)

i catch mine diving mainly from boats but also from the shore

you can legaly catch lobster and crab etc for your own consumption etc there are no set limits on number However my local fisheries consider the By catch limit as a guide this is 5 lobster per day tho as long as your not doing this or more every day you shouldnt have a problem etc

there is a Legal min size of 87mm carapace length and 90mm local size in cornwall and a couple of other places
though IMO this is still a small lobster

here is a how to measure guide
http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=7093

or in more detail for lobster tho if thay are in this state and under size its a bit late :D
Lobster17.gif

Here for more picks of how i prep a lobster
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o109/FGYT/Lobster/

was for a how to guide here for the words to and pics in hte right order

http://community.rivercottage.net/users/fgyt/forums/how-to/viewtopic/topic_id:9574

ATB

Duncan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My BIL got himself some pots, and put them out with a view of getting a few lobsters for the table, never caught a one, he could not understand why till he saw a local fishing boat hauling up his pots and either taking his catch or cutting away his bait. Local fishermen of the commercial type don’t like amateurs horning in on the way they earn a living. The BIL had a go at the fishermen when they landed. His pots vanished never to be seen again.
Be careful where you put your pots.

Said local fisherman would find a hole in the bottom of his boat.....

I fancy giving this a go my self, good thread.

You could always pop them under the water anchored with no bouy, and snorkel down to them for servicing with a mesh back to swap bait for catch, I doubt they would go missing then!

Or paddle out at a mean low tide in your canoe or whatever and put your pots down tied to anything like an old plastic air tight bottle using very strong thin rope; but make sure that the rope and float is at least a couple of feet below the mean low water height. And this is important, make sure your pots are linked with a cord between floats.

Then all you do is go out at low tide through in a line with a small grapling hook; a bent coat hanger would do and through it over where your pots are and you will be able to pull at the link cord in and then retreave all your pots. Nobody will ever know there are pots there unless they see you place them or take them out. ;)

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I spoke to one of the local ex - commercial fishermen and he reckons that legally I can put out up to seven pots for personal, non comercial use round here so fingers crossed that I get something.

Still gotta get a new dinghy or canoe first.

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Or paddle out at a mean low tide in your canoe or whatever and put your pots down tied to anything like an old plastic air tight bottle using very strong thin rope; but make sure that the rope and float is at least a couple of feet below the mean low water height. And this is important, make sure your pots are linked with a cord between floats.

Then all you do is go out at low tide through in a line with a small grapling hook; a bent coat hanger would do and through it over where your pots are and you will be able to pull at the link cord in and then retreave all your pots. Nobody will ever know there are pots there unless they see you place them or take them out. ;)

Thats a cool idea, I think that I would loose it though where I fish! But I suppose you could use a hand bearing compass to fix position of pots or even more hitech, handheld GPS maybe.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE