Lobster/crab/prawn Pots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I thought some of you may be interested in this site if it hasn't been posted before. http://www.lobsterprawnandcrab.com/ I'm considering getting a couple of pots myself and will use them for bait collecting for fishing and of course trapping crustacians for eating. They look compact and portable and come with a little stowing bag so I'll do a review and post some pictures if I catch anything worthwhile. They can also be used in rivers for crayfish.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
falling rain said:
I thought some of you may be interested in this site if it hasn't been posted before. http://www.lobsterprawnandcrab.com/ I'm considering getting a couple of pots myself and will use them for bait collecting for fishing and of course trapping crustacians for eating. They look compact and portable and come with a little stowing bag so I'll do a review and post some pictures if I catch anything worthwhile. They can also be used in rivers for crayfish.
If you know kidlington predator angling store does one very similar

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Do not think its as easy as its made out to be tho . You will need to get some distance out and over rough ground and be able to leave the trap for some time . The local fishermen will no doubt welcome you and tell you the best spots .and even empty it for you ? For a few prawns or shore craps a drop net made out of an old bike wheel rim and fine netting would work . Do not forget as posted previously traps in fresh water may be against local laws . :cool:

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
ilan said:
Do not think its as easy as its made out to be tho . You will need to get some distance out and over rough ground and be able to leave the trap for some time . :

You will need a boat or at least a canoe really to get out into deep water. but not always the case. I know places which are very productive for lobster and only a stone throw from the shore. boils down to practice and local knowledge.

If you are thinking about getting some collapsible pots I would recommend this guy. I purchased a dozen must be over four years ago now and they are still going strong. The large lobster and multi catch are Big traps, mine are 93cm x 62cm at the base. Much too big to be humping around with you but are really productive.

http://www.interextrading.com/index.html

It looks like he has added a few more traps since.

The multi catch are truly multi catch and i use them mainly for cuttlefish this time of the year. Great hobby as you never know what you are going to pull up could be anything

Oh if you want any info on rigging ,baits or whatever give me a shout.
Cheer

Den

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Here is a cheap bushcrafty crab trap that can be made entirely from natural materials or from recycled and scavenged material from beachcombing. It’s called a bintur and is used extensively in the islands of South East Asia.

It can be made in about 30 minutes (including photos) once all the material is ready.

You need:

2 lengths of springy wood about 1-1.5cm thick (bamboo is ideal) about 28-30 inches long.

A piece of netting that is about 25 inches on the diagonal or slightly less than the wood

A piece of string about 1.5 metres long

Weave the string in and out of the perimeter mesh of the netting as in the photo

1netandstring.jpg

Make sure the ends come out of the same mesh

1aOutatsamepoint.jpg

Notch the sticks at either end on OPPOSING sides

Start by slipping a buntline hitch or a similar knot over a notched end

4Bowlineovernotch.jpg

Make a clove hitch for slipping over the end of the other stick

5Clovehitch.jpg

5a.jpg

Now do the same for the other end of the first stick. Make the second clove hitch about the same distance as between the first two knots. Then make another hitch on the end of the second stick. Finish off with a couple of round turns and a slip hitch on the end of the first stick where you started.

6Noteven.jpg

The bintur is unlikely to be square the first few times. If you are hungry it doesn’t matter. (Once you get the hang of it you can tie the first sticks’ end first then do the second but that requires a good estimate of the length needed)

If you have time adjust the clove hitches or re-tension the slip hitch till you are happy with the shape. What is more important is that both sticks are arched and that there is sag or a belly in the netting so that a crab will not be able to climb out when you haul it up

8bait.jpg

9crab.jpg

You can secure the bait (chicken bones etc.) with string or wire on the sticks or the center of the net. I have used cat food in cloth successfully

If you want to make the trap collapsible just loosen 2 of the hitches.

10collapsible.jpg

Depending on your bait and materials, you may have to add a weight in the net to make the bintur sink. As the wood dries if you don't use it for a while a larger weight is desireable

I check the traps every 15 minutes or so.

Reactions: led

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
cuttle fish now that sounds intresting what sort of bait do you use ? Whilst i agree you can find good fishing close in its very rare , Re minds me of one of the best diving trips in this country out from brighton onto the inshore reef one evening. saw lobsters crabs conger etc spent 1.5 hours underwater , Then stood up ended up in 3 feet of water having drifted nearly 1.5 miles in to the beach saw more life in 10mins than in a hours dive of the french coast in 25 mtrs Equally if you miss the small reef which is a chalk wall 3-4 ft high with the rough ground perhaps 10-15 feet wide Then its a desert .

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Once you have a cuttlefish in your pot they will attract others in. But the problem is getting one in your pot in the first place. Most baits will do but adding a old CD as a lure is he norm.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
den said:
If you are thinking about getting some collapsible pots I would recommend this guy. I purchased a dozen must be over four years ago now and they are still going strong. The large lobster and multi catch are Big traps, mine are 93cm x 62cm at the base. Much too big to be humping around with you but are really productive.

http://www.interextrading.com/index.html

Hi Den,

Thanks for the link, the 'Large Bo' I've bought for my sister arrived this morning. A cracking piece of hand made kit at a really good price, and a nice guy to deal with. I'm tempted to get one to add to my pile of nice kit I'll never use!

Thanks again for the link.

AJB

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
Hugh Fernleigh Whittingstall did some cuttlefish trapping in one of his River Cottage episodes, he construcsted an elaborate and amusing decoy. He did catch cuttlefish, and prepared them in his bath the ink went everywere.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
My Licence application forms for trapping freshwater crayfish arrived last week....soon as I fill them in and get the permit and tags back I'm off to the canal to fetch supper :D Got my pots ready and the blessing of the canal owner :)

Bam. :)

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
AJB said:
Hi Den,

Thanks for the link, the 'Large Bo' I've bought for my sister arrived this morning. A cracking piece of hand made kit at a really good price, and a nice guy to deal with. I'm tempted to get one to add to my pile of nice kit I'll never use!

Thanks again for the link.

AJB
No probs mate.

If you want to extend the life of the pot. Get some polyprop rope and wrap it around the bottom of the pot as this will stop the netting from getting trashed if you drag it along a rough bottom. takes a while to weave it in and out but is worth it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE