LLangollen paddle on sunday 15th june??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
After chatting with Stu about where to go this weekend we have decided to go down to llangollen and have a paddle around.

The plan is to meet up at the car museum at 11 am and take it from there if anybody is interested.
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=G...8EE|LL20%208EE

Let me know if you want to come for a .

Hopefully Stu will be along at some point to fill in the details.

Greg

This has been posted initially on sotp here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11266
With the replies

From regbella

Yes that's right , 11am at the motor museum ......pink wellies optional

The motor museum is just outside Llangollen as you head up the hill towards the Horseshoe pass , it is signposted but it does not give you a lot of warning

I am not sure yet how far we are going ( i think firebreather and Tom are doing the welsh version of the DW or something) but 4 or 5 hours paddling seems about right , the canal feeds from the river Dee at Llangollen so there is a nice 4mph current to carry you along

For those not wishing to be quite so energetic or not brave enough to go over the Pontcycllte aqueduct then we can shuttle your car down to the Trevor basin or anywhere else you fancy as your get out point , I will be taking the trailer to make shuttling easier

there are a few landmarks and features along the way like the Pontcycllte and Chirk aqueduct's(126 ft and 70ft high ) the Chirk tunnel (1200ft )and the Whithouse tunnel ( 191 yrds ) also some great views of the welsh countryside as well

stu

and Tom

Im looking forward to it, especially the aquaduct firebreather has been telling me about!

also, on the DW note, im looking at entering (maybe just the endeavour class this coming easter) and wondered if any North West paddlers were entering? any tips/advice welcome!

So please feel free to add anything either here or there as I will be watching both Pm me for my phone number closer to the day.

Greg

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Hi Firebreather,

I'm up for this but will have to travel up on Saturday - any recomendations on campsites in the area?

Stewart

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Hi Firebreather

Don't worry about the site. I'll pop over to Llyn Gwynant - paddle the lake and stay there on Saturday. If anyone else is travelling and fancies it I'll see you on the water.

See you Sunday

Stewart

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
bump bump bumpty bump

We are off early in the morning so if anybody else wants to join us then we will see you at the motor musem at 11.

I will post a blogg of the trip when we get back. By all accounts its a great paddle or walk and I believe is counted amongst one of the most beautiful canals in the country.

See you all there if you are coming.

Cheers Greg

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Dates permitting I'd be up for an outing. Are you thinking of doing the same stretch of canal?

I may be able to arrange access to some woods in the area so if we can tie it all together we could make a weekend of it.

ATB

Stewart

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
Not a clue i;'ve only had my canoe a few months and been on the Dee from chester on it and a lake near ellesmere port, was sort of hoping some kind soul on here would like to arrange it :eek: , date wise im not too fussed! Just be ace to get out with a bunch of you lot!

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
The route we did on the canal last time was quite interesting, and I'd be happy to revisit it.

Put in at the motor museum above Llangollen then down to Trevor Basin for lunch. After lunch you get to go over the Pontcysyllte aquaduct (excellent views and you can test your head for heights -126 foot straight down).
Then on down to Chirk through the Whitehouse Tunnel.

The only other place I've paddled up there is on Llyn Gwynant near Snowdon, but I'm sure some of the more local paddlers will be able to come up with some alternatives.

Date wise it would have be end of Feb at the earliest for me.

Stewart

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
that sounds perfect to me, llyn gwynant is pretty good place to go aswell just do some camping and drinking for a weekend ha ha ,maybe we should start a new thread! i shall post one up now

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
any thought given to another north wales paddling meet?

Always up for another paddle down that neck of the woods. Its a great day with stunning scenery. If you can knock a few dates about then i will see what I can sort out.
If you fancy coming up here there are loads of other great places too.

Cheers Greg

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Guys

We seem to have ended up with 2 threads running for this meet.

As this one was originally for the meet in June last year shall we close this one and move over to the new threAD?

Stewart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE